Issues

Jack's P.O.V
I looked down at my fingers, which were playfully twirling a golden coin. I stared at the dark eyes of the chiseled skull on it. I knew that coin too well; I'd spent long, dark nights observing it, hiding it from everyone else, even from Sienna. Specially from Sienna.

I recalled the first time that I saw that coin.

***

How old was I? Perhaps two? I'm not very sure of that.

It was a cold, stormy night in the auspice. I remember myself sitting on my bed, staring at the dreadful, yet impressive, sights. Thunders kept on roaring and flashes of lighting split the dark, threatening sky down the middle. Strong, forceful winds blew and I observed the trees arching violently. I shuddered, afraid of the huge storm.

I wasn't alone though; there were three more girls and two boys in the orphanage at the moment, yet I was the youngest.

"Alright, Jack?" Jane asked behind me, and I begged her for a hug with glassy eyes. The thirteen-year-old girl smiled and softly brought me to her arms. I closed my eyes, relaxing in her embrace. "Don't worry, it won't last forever." I looked up at her holding my tears back.

"Hopefully." another teen, John I recall, beamed next to us. I smiled weakly and was willing to say something, when a yell from downstairs cut me off.

"Get it in!" one of the caretakers groaned. The three of us instantly rushed downstairs.

"What's going on?" Jane asked one of the nurses. The door was wide open, and the woman pointed somewhere out of the building, but my eyes merely saw blackness and danger.

All of a sudden, my mouth fell open and my eyes widened in astonishment. The caretaker was holding a baby basket in her arms, which was utterly soggy. I looked up at Jane, who seemed to be taller than ever due to my little height.

"Is it... a new one?" she asked, amazement and curiosity in her eyes. The caretaker glanced at her, emotionless. I guess she had just seen that scene too many times.

"Actually," the caretaker said, looking back at the baby in the basket again. "IT is girl."

The nurse next to me approached the newcomer too, grinning broadly. She took the baby inside and bent down next to me. That was the first time I saw her, her blue eyes peacefully closed in the middle of the tempest. I recall the sweet feeling that cloaked me when I first looked at her. Jane laid her hand on my shoulder as she read the letters in the baby's blankie.

"Sienna." Jane stated looking back at me, smiling widely. "Well welcome, little new sister."

'Welcome', she'd said. Not 'Welcome home' though, because we all knew that place couldn't be called home.

I looked at the little lass' face. She was so peacefully sleeping, that I was afraid to wake her up from her apparently so calming dreams. She looked so beautiful, so different, so- special... I then noticed that she was gripping something with her tiny, right hand.

Fearfully, I looked up. Jane, John, the nurse and the caretaker were arguing about the lass' possible provenience and if she should stay. They weren't paying attention to me at all, so I lowered my gaze back to the little Sienna. I slowly stretched out my short arm, trying not to wake her up. I took her hand gently and opened it. I watched the tiny object, startled. It was a shiny, bright, golden coin. But not a common coin, since that one had a carved skull on it. Pirates, I knew it.

"Hey Jack," John asked looking back to us. I rapidly hid the coin behind my back and put it inside my pocket. I knew they couldn't know about the coin, otherwise the caretaker wouldn't let her stay. I was young, yet smart enough. "How is our little Sienna?" I smiled shyly at him.

"She's asleep." I said with amazement. How could a little baby like her be asleep in the middle of a storm? "So, will she stay? Please, please." I begged to the nurse.

Instantly, all the gazes latched onto the caretaker, who was suddenly speechless. "Well... I... I guess she can stay," she stammered, not resisting my huge, glassy, puppy eyes.

"We'll all look after her." Jane claimed and broad smiles grew wider on our faces.

Maybe that place couldn't be called home, but the people in there made me feel like it truly was. And I was going to make sure that Sienna was raised in the same way.

***

A sudden voice woke me up from my haunting memories.

"I could say that is none of your belongings, is it?" Pan hissed. I lifted my gaze to meet his own. If looks killed, Pan would've laid dead on the ground.

"It's not of your concern." I scowled and he merely smirked in response.

"Of course not." Pan replied, still with his grin. "It's Sienna's."

I flinched at hearing him pronouncing her name, feeling how wrath filled up my body.

"Don't even dare to lay a single finger on her." I spat furiously, my fists tightly clenched.

"Too late for that." Pan replied with an evil grin and I froze at hearing those words. 'Bloody hell, what have you done, Sienna?', I thought, aching inside.

"I swear if you do something to her I will just -"

"Calm down, lad." Pan interrupted me and I shot him a deadly look. "You are in no position to shout out threats. Plus, I'm here to warn you." I narrowed my eyes in mistrust.

"And why the hell would you ever do that?" I snapped. His smirk vanished and was replaced by a look full of concern.

"Because it's about her." Pan stated, a stern tone was laced in his words. Did he actually care about Sienna? I glared at him, still not trusting him. Like I ever would, though. "Listen: she just found out about her parents, her past." he said, my eyes widening in shock and fear.

"If this is one of your tricks..." I began, glaring at him, and a grin stretched across his face.

"Pirate's Cove lad." he said, then faded.

I let out a groan of frustration. I'd been protecting her since that horrible, stormy day. She was like a sister to me, even something stronger for her was developing in my inside. Her past was just a haunting and miserable life that would only bring her down. I had to arrive at the Pirate's Cove before Sienna did.
Otherwise, all those years beside her would be thrown away.

--------------
Yaaaay 2k! Thank you so much guys
Maybe some feedback?
               ~LostGirl2SR.
PS: What do you think about the new cover?