Rivers Are More Fun At Home

*Avis' POV*

"You just had to kidnap them?" I awoke with a deep throb in both my head and my ribs. Stupid ribs. I slowly opened my eyes a crack, noticing we were surrounded by forest.

"They saw us! I felt like killing them would end us up in more trouble." A whinging voice cried.

"Well you can finish the job now. We need to be to the border by dawn, and we can't very well drag about dead weight." Another retorted. His voice dripped with authority. Almost to the point in which I believed we were dead weight as well.

"Why can't we keep them? We can sell them."

"They aren't puppies, Mitch!" The leader snapped. I gasped slightly at the sudden sound. They both froze.

"She's awake." The other, Mitch, hissed.

"Alright girly, sit up and tell us your name." The leader demanded. I slowly sat up, groaning at my injuries.

"Leave her be, Hank, she's hurt." Mitch said. Glancing around, I noticed about five other men in the group. To the side were large bags filled with coins and precious items that they most likely stole from the villagers.

"I don't care." Hank snapped. His gaze returned to me and I felt ashamed as I cowered slightly.

"Avis." I said quietly.

"What a pretty name." Mitch said, rather kindly. If he hadn't just kidnapped me, I might like him. Wait... a minute. I quickly glance around the clearing once more, noticing the still forms of both Brighton and Jacklyn. Well crap. This just got complicated.

"Where are your parents?" Mitch asked. Most considerate kidnapper in history.

"At home." I said. Well, I might as well have a concussion with that answer. Duh!

Hank rolled his eyes and groaned.

"This is getting ridiculous! Finish them!" Hank yelled. Mitch gave me a sorrowful gaze and gestured for the others to pick up Jacklyn and Brighton. They threw them across their shoulders and Mitch helped me up before picking me up and putting me over his shoulder too. It hurt, but probably not as bad as what would happen next. I could hear the roar of a river, a loud river. Great. Not a good time to mention I can't swim. The river came into view and I noticed Jacklyn and Brighton begin to stir as they set us on the grass river bank. Mitch begins to tie a bag of rocks to my hands, weighing me down.

"What's going on!?!" I hear Jacklyn say startled.

"Calm down, Jacklyn. Merely some friendly kidnappers about to drown us." I said casually. Everyone seemed a bit confused at my reaction to the event about to take place. Jacklyn nudged at her bonds and then felt the weight of the rocks tied to her hands. I noticed her face pale and Brighton sit up, looking equally pale.

"Enough chatting." Mitch said darkly. Wow, what changed your mood so quickly? Mitch picked me up again and I felt my legs shaking as he approached the river, with one swing, I felt icy cold water hit my body. I definitely underestimated this river. It was about eight feet or more deeper. Much deeper than I thought it would be. I managed to stay afloat for a few seconds, struggling to float as the weights dragged me down. My ears were filled with water, and I see them readying to throw Jacklyn in after me. Suddenly they all stopped, and I see an arrow embed itself into Mitch's chest, dropping Jacklyn. My mouth filled with water and I begin to feel the burning sensation of water filling my lungs. I couldn't keep my head about any longer. As soon as I gave up, I was dragged to the bottom of the river quickly by the rocks. My vision was murky and then spotty. I feel something grab my ankle and everything goes black.

***

I awake to the very lovely face of a wet and sodden Will Treaty. Water dripped from his hair and clothes, and he looked both angry and concerned.

"Avis?" He asked, feeling my forehead.

"I'm alright." I said. My throat was sore and I felt exhausted. "What happened?"

"I was out collecting firewood when I heard voices, so I followed. They led me to you and I saw them throw you in the river. I shot the thrower and then Brighton grabbed his sword, freeing himself and fighting off the rest of the bandits while I jumped in after you." Will explained. He smirked and then added, "Now you owe me three times." Without thinking, I wrap my arms around Will's neck, giving him a tight hug. I feel him return the embrace, a little hesitantly at first.

"Thank you." I said, my eyes filled with tears. As soon as I let go, Jacklyn attacks me in a bear hug.

"I'm starting to think you're a trouble magnet." She said in a joking, yet scared, voice.

"We all know it's your fault." I retorted smirking.

"Let's get back to camp." Will said. "We're almost to the gathering, so might as well take you with us." Jacklyn and I quickly share a look of glee and surprise. While Brighton looked frightened. Will held out his hand and helped me stand. He help support some of my weight as we slowly made our way back to the Rangers camp.

***

Upon entering the Rangers camp, Gilan's jaw drops.

"No. No. No! This was supposed to be a holiday from those two!" Gilan said angrily. Halt kicked him slightly and made his way over to me and Will. Gilan silenced, noticing the tense mood. Halt quickly unrolled a bed roll and helped me sit, still sopping wet.

"Gil, give me your cloak." Halt demanded. Gilan unfastened his cloak and handed it over. I felt the warm cloak wrap around my shoulders and pulled it tighter to fight the cold seeping in from wet dress.

"What happened?" Halt asked. Jacklyn quickly recounted the events of what was apparently a couple of days. Halt and Gilan quickly checked Brighton and Jacklyn's heads for sign of trauma, Jacklyn had a little dried blood behind her ear, and Brighton had a rather large bump.

"We'll continue onto the gathering in the morning. You lot will come with us since apparently we can't leave you alone without you getting kidnapped." Halt said gruffly.

"We'll behave, Girls scout honor." Jacklyn said to Halt. They looked confused, and I had to fight of a giggle. When she said that it felt like she was just saying "Jk" after each sentence.

"Well I should hope so. Now, get some sleep. I'll take first watch." Halt said. I lay down and snuggle into Gilans warm cloak, falling into a deep sleep.

***

A bit all over the place...I hoped you liked it! I didn't know how we'd escape, so Jacklyn and I thought up Will saving us, and I thought it would be fun to drown....😁
Love you all!

~Avis