Letters Are More Important Than Groceries

*Avis' POV*

I run into the room hurriedly as my mom steps over the threshold of the front door, carrying several heavy bags and a stack of mail. I don't bother to help her with the bags, only snatch the letters out of her hands, flipping through them. I throw any bill or letter that isn't addressed to me over my shoulder until I finally come across the letter I have been waiting weeks for. It's a yellowed envelop with forest green ink scrawled across the front, spelling out my name beautifully.

"It's here!" I squeal. Mom glared at me and slams the door.

"Thanks for your help with the bags!" She says sarcastically. I am in a daze, so I don't exactly hear the sarcasm dripping from her voice.

"No problem." I state happily before running to the dining room and ripping open the letter.

-Avis Knight

Thank you for entering the archeologist competition, created by England's finest archeologist to find young men and women interested in our history. We would like to congratulate you on winning one of the three spots in the competition...

I freeze, staring at the words before letting out an excited scream.

"Mom! I made it!" I yelled. My whole family comes running in, my two little sister's peering over my shoulder to try to read the content on the letter, and my older brother glaring at me. He had entered the competition too, but by the look on his face, I'm not sure he made it. Mom and dad both look skeptical, but they let me enter! I begin to read the rest of the letter out loud.

"...You will be joined by two others your age on a flight to Redman County, England on Saturday, June 30th. A list of things to pack for your stay..." I skimmed the list of things to bring and smile brightly at my parents, who both looked slightly concerned.

"Are you sure about this, Avis?" Dad asked.

"Dad! This is my only chance to meet some of the top archeologist in the world! John Flanagan is going to be there! He's spent his life working on this dig in Redman County. He even wrote a history on it from all his findings." I explain. My sister rolled her eyes.

"Don't get her started on Rangers Apprentice again dad! You know what will happen!" She begged. Dad smiled and nodded.

"We know how much you love those fairy tales, Ave, but they're just a fantasy that 'archeologist' made up to get a few bucks. It's not history." I glared at all of them.

"I'll prove you wrong when I talk to him." I sneered. The conversation always ended like this. They refused to believe that Araluen ever existed. That King Duncan ever reigned. That the Rangers Corps was ever so powerful. Now was my chance to prove them wrong. I travel to Redman County, England in a week, where I'll get to spend time with John Flanagan himself at the site of Redmont Castle. Much more exciting then my dull life in Nevada.

I walked to my room and pulled my Rangers Apprentice books off my bookshelf, fingering the pages and staring at the cover. Rangers Apprentice, the ruins of Gorlan. A history of the Araluen. John Flanagan changed my life for the better when I was nine years old. He showed me the legends of the ancient people in England. He told me stories of the hero's and heroines that travelled throughout their time, fighting off crime. He showed me that even the smallest of people can have a big impact on others lives. To meet John Flanagan would be my dream come true. To see Castle Redmont, ruins at least, would be heaven on earth. In less then a week, it'll all be true.

I grab my suitcase and begin to fill it with clothes, shoes, notebooks, the rangers apprentice legends, and more. Packing early never hurt anyone, especially when they are excited. Making sure I have everything on the list besides my laptop, which I would put in later, I zipped it up and hauled it out into the living room. My family watched me with slight amusement, which I didn't find funny. I'll show them the truth in the legends. There's nothing they can do to stop me from going on the trip of a life time.

***
Alright, so if you haven't noticed, SilverOakleaf and I are writing this book together. This chapter was in my point of view, since it's kind of about us... so SilverOakleaf will be next chapter! Hope you all like it!

~Avis

Rangers Apprentice: Forgotten Ruinsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें