29. Awkward Lunch and Dreaded Meeting

Sapphira's POV

It had been a week now. A week of me trying my best to stay away from everyone in the palace. The only people I ever conversed with were Joanna, Jake and occasionally Albert or the other maids. In the time of a week, I was paid several visits by the Queen but they weren't very long. I could see that she was trying but I needed time. I wasn't just going to have a heart to heart with her, suddenly. To me, she was the Queen of England and not my grandmother. I couldn't see her as the woman who raised my father.

In this week, however, I had started to see things slightly differently. Maybe, she was genuinely worried about my safety, after all. I had seen remorse in her eyes but I had been convincing myself otherwise. My 'improvised' Aunt and Uncle had wanted to see me but I just couldn't bring myself to face them. I was afraid that anger would take over me and I'd forget their generosity.

I had been feeling too many emotions. Some parts, I could understand. Some parts, I was ready to forgive but others made me furious and the worst part was, more than the fury, I felt another emotion: pain.

This morning, I decided to step out of the confinement of my room in the palace. The decision was based purely on the curiosity to see the place where my father grew up.

I told myself that I had to try. If the Queen was trying, maybe, I should try too. Who knows? I might have an actual family, after all. So, after I bathed and got dressed into a jeans and a designer top that I seemed to have found in my walk in closet, I pulled on my boots and informed Jake of my plans. Jake's face held a subtle smile at that. He seemed happy that I had finally decided to end the 'cocoon life'. However, I wasn't sure if I was ready to be a butterfly just yet.

Alright, Sapphira. You can do this. It can't be that hard, now.

"Good Morning, your highness!" Albert greeted me.

"Good morning, Mr. Watson. How are you doing?" I replied.

"Very well, Ma'am. Thank you for asking. What about yourself?" He asked.

I sighed.

"Well, just trying to deal with the mess that we call life."

"I hope things get better for you, Ma'am."

"I prefer Sapphira," I said with a slight grimace.

He nodded with a smile. Albert was easy on the eyes. He seemed like a guy most girls would swoon at. He was well built. Broad shoulders and all. Light brown hair that seemed to be styled to perfection, stubbled jaw, hazel eyes that could almost be mistaken for grey. A very good looking guy, indeed. And maybe, I too, would've swooned over him if I wasn't crazily in love with a green eyed doofus that meant the world to me.

And so we started walking. He took me to a big room that led to many different hallways. It looked like a family's living room, except the couches appeared as if they'd never been used and probably, had never been occupied by a family. I frowned.

I looked around the room, it was decorated with fresh flowers and all sorts of expensive paintings and furniture. Albert had been standing perfectly straight, quietly in a corner, his hands behind his back. He looked like a statue. I couldn't help but chuckle but then I quickly covered my mouth. It was rude of me to laugh at him.

He looked at me quizzically and I said,
"You don't have to stand there like a statue, you know?" I said.

"I've been trained to be a Royal guard, Sapphira. This is a part of what I was taught." He replied, amused.

"Mr. Watson, I don't think I need a guard. I think, what I need, is a friend." I said quietly but he seemed to have heard me.

"Your wish is my command, my lady." He smiled at me. "Would you like to be my friend, Sapphira?" He asked me as he extended his hand.