† Twenty Three †

Kanato's POV...

.

"Are you sure he's alright??" Subaru asked, feeling worried at Laito for running away. I shook my head, knowing that our brother won't let ny of us in. If I know he must be having an attack. Its been years since that happened but among us. She's the one who suffered most besides Aya-nii who's always physically and verbally abused by our mom.

Even the others are worried for him too. "Come on Kanato..." Reiji-nii said while they all pushed me lightly to go inside and check up on him. Sometimes, I really hate being the one to muster the courage to get near him. He could be violent than Subaru when angry and even Shu-nii was having a hard time calming him too.

.

Flashback...

.

"Come back!!" I called, crying as my bat flies away. Aya-nii, me and Laito have been playing around when we were kids. Reiji-nii would sometimes play with us but he prefer studying over playing while Shu-nii was guarded 24/7, training as the heir to the throne. Their mother, Lady Beatrix, was a strict woman afterall.

She was the second mistress and our mom was frustrated because she was the first one who gave birth of the first two eldest children. Even my child mind could understand that. The two mistresses would always fight, not to mention the fact that another mistress was added to the family.

I was jealous of Subaru because she was loved and dotted by her mother but at the same time, I pity him. His mother would scream, panicking that her son was missing. She already gave away her youngest daughter so she doesn't want to loose him either. But every moment she saw her face, she would be scared since Subaru had te face of the man that raped his mother.

.

SNIFF!!! SNIFF!!!

.

"My bat got away..." I cried as Laito put a reassuring hand on my shouler, saying that we will get it back. I nodded at him and we ran, ignoring the proclamation of Ore-sama from a certain red head. Suddenly, we heard the slap and scream of mom scolding Aya-nii. It seemed very painful and I really pity him. But Laito said we mustn't interrupt them if we don't want mom to hurt us too.

I can see how anxious he is but he still kept quiet before we turned around to go back to where we left off when we saw Shu-nii walking around. Laito went to asked him for help and immediately, he agreed to get my bat from the tree. We're so glad that he's very nice to give us a hand as we search for my pet. Unfortunately, it seemed that Lady Breatrix thought Shu-nii's playing with the children of the woman she despised the most.

"SHU!!!" she hollered as her eyes glow bright. Her fangs protrude from her upper lip in rage, making us shiver in fear. Suddenly, she slapped Shu-nii in the face for escaping when he's supposed to be studying. I couldn't take any of their 'heir-to-the-throne' crap. Unfortunately, she became mad at me and she held my jaw tightly as her eyes full of rage bore into mine.

I shiver in fear again as Shu-nii and Laito tried to make her let go of me. But she was more powerful, sending them off telekinetically until...

"LET HIM GO!!" Laito screamed all his emotions out and Lady Beatrix let me go, confusion in her eyes as she turned towards my crying brother. He screamed again for her sit down in which she did unwillingly but can't do anything about it. The force of his were strong that even I felt it.

Suddenly, everyone except Mom Christa who was underhoue arrest came, asking what happened while Laito seemed to gasping for breath. He looked worn out. It was the first time that we saw Laito used his vampire gift and as if on cue, Karlheinz came along with Richter and was astonished by his gift.

"You have the gift of Compulsion" he smiled as he pat his son's head gently "It's a rare ability and you can even command an adult at such a young age, Laito... I'm so proud of you..."

Ever since then, mom had been dotting on him and neglecting us because he became the king's favorite. However, she suffered a much worst childhood than us because many branched demon lords took an interest in his ability. Even Richter who also took an interest in his ability, trained him like hell on how to control it properly. The never ending screams of agony could be heard in the room next to mine makes me regret what I did.

No one tried to help him. Not because we're afraid of getting hurt, but because everyone was jealous of him. Yes, even I am jealous of him. Not to mention the fact that both mom and Karlheinz would show off his rare ability. Unfortunately, mom got overboard and the king was enraged. He wants the ability to himself just like everyone else.

Because of despair and humiliation, Mom would always get drunk or go out into many men while dragging Laito with him to control those mens who would defy having s__ with her. Until when our puberty came... The once favorite son who is now just a common son became mom's new substitute for Karlheinz.

.

End of Flashback...

.

"Laito..??" I asked, getting inside his room. I saw him curled up in the corner beside his bed with his arms wrapped protectively around him. He seemed to be whispering to someone or something that he just wanted to saved us, that he just doesn't want to have any unnecessary violence and it wasn't his fault that he loved mom so much that he committed that 'sin' with her. But most of all... he's very sorry for being alive.

"Laito!!" I hollered, shaking him backto reality. However, it seemed to make his attack worst than it is now...

"GET AWAY FROM ME!!" he screamed at me and suddenly, I had my body being thrown away forcefully. I tried to move my own body to get move or something but it still won't budge. That is until the others came. Shu-nii used his telekinesis to bring Laito down while the redhead struggled violently.

Reiji-nii tied his strings around his hands and mouth to prevent him from speaking, ignoring the crumbling room and the breaking household items from the powerfull force he's emitting. We're really sorry for it but Aya-nii needed to electrocute him to render him unconscious. Everything was going fine until mom, Richter and Karlheinz came in the room.

They looked alarmed and enraged for doing that to the 'favorite' before kicking us out of the room. So much for a thank you. If it wasn't for Lady Beatrix and Mom Christa who were there calming us and were also worried of the younger redhead, we would have been violent.

It seemed like we Reiji-nii was right. We must be stuck in a parallel world or some sort of dream. I was stuck in my thoughts when mom came out of the room, looking sad and worried. She told us that everything was her fault and suddenly hugged both me and Aya-nii, saying that she will do everything she can to make things right again.

But no matter how much I convince myself, I just can't shake off the fact that this is real and that this is what I've been wanting for my whole life as mom wraps her arms around me and tell her she loved me. How I knew how wrong was that...

.

Karlheinz's POV...

.

"Are you alright now??" I asked Laito as he nod but his eyes and mind seemed to be far away. How could this happen to my son?? How I have turn an eye around him like this?? How could I have let Cordelia and Richter break him. I know my brother is very sorry but he had already proved himself that he will not do it again.

I sighed, feeing hopeless as a failure of father before I sat on th side of his bed and wrapped my arms around my son. "Don't worry..." I said, soothing his hair "I will not let anyone hurt you ever again"

My words seemed to struck something in him and Richter sat closer on the other side of his bed too. He took Laito's hand and held it firmly with his both hand. "I promise I will do anything I ca to help you" he said "I always be here for you..."

And with that, Richter kissed Laito's forehead before we both went out of the room to give him privacy. Not knowing the mad demon eyes that had aready lost its sanity directed towards us...

.

End of POVs...

.