Thirty Five.

My bare feet padded along the concrete up towards the front door, Alex was a few metres ahead of me in the dark, and he turned to wave at Jordan and Sasha in the car before disappearing into the house without waiting for me.

I bit my lip and turned to mouth 'Thank you,' at the two of them before awkwardly putting my hand on the door handle that I'd last touched so many months before. Taking a deep breath, I walked in to see the lounge flooded in darkness.

Alex and I hadn't said a word to me since we had left the school. "Alex?" I called cautiously.

"Upstairs." He said simply. Walking up the stairs was strange. It was like I'd been there in a dream and now I was really there. When I got into Alex and I's old bedroom, I felt a stab in my chest.

Memories. Memories that I wish I could relive.

Alex was lying in bed with the light turned off. There was a blanket and pillow on the floor, clearly allocated to me. I tried to hold back tears and I lay down on the hard floor, already in my pajamas.

I took the pillow and instead of putting my head on it I held it tightly, wishing. Praying. Hoping that I'd get the love and comfort I needed back from the one boy I'd ever love. Alex.

Without realising it, I found myself sniffing and crying. A voice whispered to me in the dark. "Ebby. Stop it."

I couldn't stop. "You sound like a little baby... Please stop crying." Alex pleaded. A warm presence appeared near me and strong arms snaked around my waist. My cold body was protected by a larger, stronger body.

"It's okay. I know it doesn't feel like it, but it is. Trust me, I feel the same." Alex turned me around and pulled me into his chest. "Its okay. You're in my protective bubble wrap now."

I snuggled into him, deciding to stop crying. "You're silly. I'm glad you're hear. I've been a wreck these last six months." He sighed.

"Me too." I held him tighter.

"How was your school?" He asked. "Bet you learned a lot."

"I would've. But I had other things on my mind." I shrugged.

"What?" Alex frowned.

"You." I said, trying to make it sound like it wasn't a big deal.

Alex laughed and stood up, turning on the light. "I cleaned up earlier because I knew that you were coming over." He leaned on the floor and pulled a box out from under the bed. Inside it was filled with bottles and bottles of alcohol. I gasped. "That would've lasted me a week or two." Alex laughed, but I could see the pain in his face.

Then he pulled a box out of his underwear drawer and showed it to me. "Cigarettes!" My eyes grew wide.

"Yep." He frowned, looking guilty. "That was my last resort."

I felt a little bad for my mother's actions, but Alex sensed it and picked me up bridal style and placed me gently on the bed, tucking me in. He switched off the lights and joined me.

"Its okay, you're here now." He took my hand. "And if anyone ever tries to split us up, do you know what's going to happen?"

"What?" I giggled.

"We'll just find our way back to each other. Just like magnets." Alex smiled.

"Yeah. Just like magnets." I promised.