twenty-one

Cassie

Silence was the only thing that overwhelmed us after I had dropped the pregnancy bomb. Daniel and Justin were both staring at me with wide eyes while they stood across of me like they were frozen and the fact that they were not reacting at all made me nervous.

This wasn't exactly how I wanted the news to come out. I had it all planned out how I was going to tell them and it was definitely not under these circumstances. I wanted to tell Justin a few days ago when I thought the time was right and we were both extremely happy but that didn't happen because we were interrupted again. I hadn't quite known how I was going to talk to my brother about it without him completely freaking out but I was thinking about the right way of telling him.

This was definitely not the right way.

Looking at them now and seeing their face expressions, I kind of regretted letting it out but it was done now and I couldn't take it back. Of course I knew that their reaction would be like this, sort of. It was okay that they were shocked because it was something none of us would have expected, especially not right now.

I was shocked myself when I had found out about my pregnancy. Being honest I'd cried for about a week because I'd been panicked. I am too young to raise a child and I know that and I had so many plans that I wanted to accomplish like going to college but I didn't know if it was going to be possible now because of the baby. I also had not known how I was going to tell both, Justin and Daniel and how they were going to take the news. Were they going to be okay with it and be happy or would they be the complete opposite? And if they weren't okay with it and didn't accept the fact that I was having a baby, what would I do? I didn't want to be left alone and the thought of it scared me so much, that's why it took me weeks to make the decision to tell them. They deserved to know, especially Justin.

Abortion was definitely not an option that's what I knew for sure. This kid was going to be raised, with or without a father.

But knowing my boyfriend, he wasn't going to let me go through this alone. He loved me, that's what I was aware of and exactly that's why he was going to stick with me and not leave me by myself. I didn't want to rush a reaction out of him. This was something big and he had to let it sink it and process what was actually going on. I was hoping that he would be just as excited about being a parent as I was even though we were so young and it came a little bit sudden.

The time passed and it felt like hours when it was only minutes that had gone by until Justin finally snapped out of it and opened his mouth to speak.

"Are you serious?" Justin asked me, his voice in a whisper and the shock still visible in his eyes.

"I'm serious Justin. I wouldn't lie about something like this," I replied honestely as I kept my eyes on him, my voice serious to let him know that this wasn't some kind of joke.

"You're not bullshitting me?" Justin asked, looking at me with hopeful eyes and stepping closer to me and I answered his question by shaking my head no. "I'm going to be a dad?" he questioned and I didn't miss how the corners of his lips went up a little when he asked the question.

"Yes baby, you're going to be a dad," I answered him, repeating his words and I smiled myself when I saw his eyes lit up when he stood in front of me. He was taking the information so much better than before now and that was a good thing.

"I'm going to be a dad," he said once again but more to himself then to me and the next thing I knew was that he pulled me towards him by my arm and hugged me tightly. I felt so happy and relieved that he had not rejected me and that he was somewhat happy about this. All the fear that I had was gone the moment he smiled and took me in his arms.