A Carnival Comes To Town

Summary: Carlos goes to the lighthouse again, the scientists investigate the carnival and Old Woman Josie speaks to Rochelle.

"Ooookay, so we just need one more tiny house and then we're ready to go!"

"Are you sure that putting the citizens of the underground city in an old aquarium tank will be the best way for us to observe them, Nat?"

"Positive!"

"You just don't want them in our house anymore, do you?"

"No. God, please, Ellie they need to go."

"It's like having children, though!" The biochemist sulked, making the team around her laugh. Rochelle came in to the room, satchel swinging from her shoulder, carrying the radio.

"Hey, guys!" She waved.

"Morning!" The rest of the team chorused back.

"Ooh is it nearly finished?" The curly haired biologist bounced over to peer eagerly into the tank that Natalia and Ellie were placing things in. There was a mini town that the team had created for the citizens from the underground city that the team had rescued. The team's new project was to study the tiny people.

"Yep!" Dave grinned. "They're almost ready to move in. I've set up all the cameras. Wasn't half difficult."

Rochelle fist bumped his shoulder lightly and went back to the chair where she'd rested the radio to unpack her satchel.

"...joining the rest of the cowardly air molecules. 'I heard opera is a virus you get from kissing,' said another bystander, who was clearly former mayor Pamela Winchell wearing a fake moustache and clumsily altering her voice. Nobody but Old Woman Josie and her mysterious friends know what an opera is. Hopefully we'll all find out soon, Night Vale!"

"Is Josie still doing all the strenuous work?" Ellie frowned. "I told her not to!"

"She doesn't listen to anyone." Dave shook his head. "She's stubborn as a two headed ox, that one."

"Two headed?" Jeffries furrowed his brows.

"Yes."

"Why?"

"You know, like the fairy tale? The two headed ox and the weasel?"

"There is not a fairy tale like that." Ellie scoffed in disbelief.

"There is!" Dave insisted. "You know, the one about the weasel who tries to defy the world government so he goes to their headquarters but a two headed ox stands in his way and shouts at him with both his heads until he realises that the universe is cruel?"

"That is NOT a fairy story!"

"I like that story." Jeffries laughed.

"I'm going to go see if Josie's okay." Rochelle said. "I'll see you all later."

"See you in a bit." Dave smiled, before turning back to the team. "So what's this I hear about a carnival in town?"

~

"It'll open?" Carlos gasped in wonder. "Really?"

"We think we can open it. Maybe it is just attempting to reject your presence only?" Alicia answered with a shrug.

"Why would it do that?" Carlos arched an eyebrow in curiosity.

"We're not sure. But there are pictures in the lighthouse. Pictures of Night Vale."

"What pictures?"

"They are in a room. A dark room. Separate from the rest of the lighthouse. You have to know where it is in order to open the door to it."