Feral Dogs

Summary: Banned from leaving the lab by the secret police due to the increasing dog pack threat, the scientists decide to celebrate Perez's birthday. Unfortunately, the team ends up having animal problems of their own when the lizards escape.

"...If you have any tips that could lead to the capture of this roving band of dogs, please, keep them to yourself. We've also received word that they have tapped your phone and computers, so best not leave the house or talk loudly..."

"See?" Officer Jane said to the scientists.

"But...." Carlos started.

"NO. You are to stay here. Council's orders. Or do I need to schedule you all for re-education in the dark box?" Her voice went cold.

"Please," Carlos said. "It's Edwardo's birthday. We only want to go next door to Rico's for a birthday lunch."

"Big Rico is unavailable. He is assisting us with the dog problem. Did you know he's a keen taxidermist?"

"Yes. Cecil mentioned it once." Ellie said. "But please?"

"No. If I have to warn you again, I'll take you all in, starting with 'Perfect Carlos' here."

Ellie swallowed thickly and stepped back.

"I thought so."

Officer Jane nodded her head and locked the door of the lab, trapping the scientists inside.

"What now? This dog pack problem could take ages." Natalia said.

"We do not have to do anything, really." Perez mumbled.

"Bull-SHIT." She replied. "It's your birthday!"

"If you think we're not going to celebrate, Edwardo, you are sorely mistaken." Carlos beamed and put his arm around the man's shoulders - a feat given that Perez was at least half a foot taller than Carlos. Perez blushed slightly.

"We could watch a movie?" Ellie suggested. "What about Bat-"

"No, Ellie."

"Wha' about some 'fun science'?" Jeffries said. "We got any jelly bab'es, boss?"

"We do, actually. And enough wine and food to have a small celebration as we blow them up. That okay, Edwardo?"

He laughed. "That is more than okay."

"I still say we should watch it." Ellie whispered to Carlos.

"Dr Green, we talked about this. You need a break from that entire franchise." Carlos grinned.

Ellie huffed and pulled her lab coat tighter around her vintage Batman t-shirt.

~

"Wat' it fizz! Haha. Fizz. That's a funny word. Fizzzzzzzz."

"Fizzzzzzzzzy! Fizz fizzy fizz fizz." A loud giggling followed.

"I think Dr Green and Dr Jeffries are rather tipsy." Observed Perez, talking to Carlos who was sat in a chair in the corner with Natalia; Carlos sipped his wine whilst Natalia drank lemonade.

She'd pulled Carlos aside when he'd offered her a glass of champagne on the day they'd arrived and explained that her mother had been a raging alcoholic when Natalia was young and although she was better now, Natalia had vowed that she herself would never touch a drop. Not after she'd seen the consequences.

Carlos had accepted that without question and had made sure that the fridge always had some kind of non-alcoholic fizzy drink in it. In fact, the elderflower cordial that he'd bought from one of Cecil's interns, Dana, had become a quick favourite with the whole team.