Homecoming

Double update whaaaat?!
Hope you're enjoying this fic! Please do leave comments!

Summary: Everyone tries to cope with preparing for a Christmas without Carlos, Carlos persuades Cecil to ask about vacation and the team have a competition regarding the mysterious monolith.

"Listeners, someone built a monolith in front of City Hall overnight." The radio in the scientists laboratory blared across the communal area as the team assembled there for the morning briefing. Everyone seemed to be in an average mood. Ellie and Natalia were playing footsie under the table, Brent, Dave and Perez were discussing cars and Rochelle was reading something on her phone with an unusual amount of focus. When Ellie had nosily tried to look, Rochelle had yanked her phone away from the blonde scientist.

The team unfortunately were beginning to come to the realisation and acceptance, however, that Carlos would not be home for Christmas and the emotional blow was hard on all of the team.

"Last night, there was no 15-foot tall, two-foot thick rectangle made of blue slate towering over the faded grass and weakened tulip garden in front of City Hall. But now, there is. A monolith, with indifferent geometry and a long, sharp shadow cast by the low morning sun. It is an ominous construction, channeling ancient powers and long-dead gods. Perhaps, it is even connected to our primordial extra-terrestrial ancestry."

"Um, Brent?"

"Yes, Dr Johnson?"

"Is that monolith on the agenda by chance?"

Jeffries laughed and his bellowing chuckle echoed around the room even more than the radio. "Yep, it's top priority t'day. Here's the details," he said, handing out pieces of paper with the usual crudely written writing on. The team, although they had lots of practice, still struggled with municipally approved pens. "Any volunteers? M'quite interested myself."

"I should like to investigate this monolith." Perez's pale eyebrows were furrowed as he examined the report in front of him. "I shall accompany you, Dr Jeffries."

"Fantastic. Anyone else?"

"I'll go." Dave piped up. "Sounds interesting. Shall I make us snacks? Guys' day out?"

Natalia snickered. "Go for it, guys. Lads day out investigating the terrifying monolith." She leaned backwards into her seat, her left foot, complete with black pumps, swinging to and fro as Rochelle and Ellie laughed at her joke. The men all seemed to take offence to it.

"You think that you could do a better job?" Dave folded his arms.

"Oh I bet we could." Natalia said confidently.

"Fine." Dave's frown turned into a sly smirk. "Let's make this interesting then. Guys vs girls. The one who figures out the properties, intentions, and level of danger to the town that the monolith poses, wins."

"Oh you are so on." Natalia laughed.

"We're gonna wipe the floor with you."

"Not if we do it first."

"Oh this is on like Donkey Kong!" Ellie whooped excitedly.

"This is childish!" Perez pointed out.

"Why? Scared you can't win?" Rochelle snorted and stood up.

"I am confident that we shall win." Perez mirrored her action and soon all of the team were on their feet.

"We're starting to get complaints about the new monolith that appeared overnight in front of City Hall. The monolith has begun to HOVER. I mean, not by much, don't freak out over a hovering monolith. It's, like, two or three inches. Not a full foot, or more."