The Phone Call

Summary: Whilst the scientists giggle over Carlos' weekend call to Cecil, Carlos investigates clocks and has a mysterious visitor.

"Miss Johnson, does that clock have teeth too?" Carlos said warily.

"It does. It's creepy, Carlos. I mean, the Secret Police and City Council asked you to investigate time, but this?"

"I know." Carlos said, rubbing his forehead. "It's a nightmare. Did you get your new apartment sorted, by the way?"

"Yeah." Natalia said. "Ellie and I are moving in tomorrow night. Brent is sorted. How about you?"

"Yeah. The other day. Sorry I didn't mention it. Just been busy with this clock situation. It's so fascinating. But the goo is....kind of terrifying."

"Have you asked anyone about it? I mean, a Night Vale resident?"

"I called Cecil at the weekend to ask him about the time thing. I even explained the phenomenon and how exactly time was slowing down, but he just sort of said-"

"Neat?!" Ellie burst out from the other room, which was followed by hysterical laughter.

"Ne-wait. Huh?" Carlos said, getting up and going into the room to find Green and Jeffries sat around the radio, tears rolling down their cheeks.

Cecil's voice on the radio sounded mortified.

"I mean, Carlos is SO smart, and he says SO many smart things! And I'm not dumb! I like science and municipally-approved books just as much as the next guy, so I can't believe that's all I could say to him. NEAT!" Cecil groaned dramatically into the radio mic.

Carlos blinked. Then it occurred to him what Cecil was talking about.

"Is he talking about when-"

"When ya phoned him, Carlos." Jeffries chuckled. "At th'weekend."

Carlos just stood there for a moment.
"I....I should get back to work. Clocks to disassemble. For science." He tripped over a chair leg in his attempt to scramble away so as to avoid the conversation.

"But it's gone 7, Carlos. It's not during the day like the normal shows. It's an evening one." Ellie said. Carlos had not expected that response at all. Maybe she had finally taken on board his requests for silence on the Cecil matter.

"Oh. Well I'll take some work home with me. I need to look at more clocks. So many more." He muttered, gathering up the clocks given to them by the Secret Police even though everyone in the town was of the opinion that time wasn't real.

"Carlos...just, rest tonight, will you?" Natalia asked. "You've been on this all week and since half past 6 this morning."

Carlos sighed. "It's just so FRUSTRATING. Having something like this to solve and not being able to solve it."

"If anyone can, boss, you will. We believe in ya." Jeffries said, nudging Carlos' shoulder encouragingly.

"Thank you, Brent."

"Get home soon, 'kay?"

A chorus of 'goodnight's echoed around the lab and the scientists left the building.

Carlos grabbed his satchel with the clocks in and locked the door.

Luckily, his apartment was a mere two blocks away. Enough time for one song. He flipped the 'shuffle' button on his iPod and started walking.

~

Carlos' apartment was quiet and shadowy. He switched on the light lazily and took out his phone. He needed a second opinion on the clocks.