Street Cleaning Day

Summary: Carlos investigates the oak door near John Peters' farm, Ellie's wheat smuggling is discovered and Street Cleaning Day hits the town.

The setting sun crept lazily down the horizon as two figures stood next to an oak door in the middle of a barren wasteland.

"So you think it could lead somewhere else?" The first figure said, a man with curly black hair and a lab coat.

"I don't know. Maybe." The other figure replied, in a gruff voice.

"Hm...thanks, Mr Peters, for your time." Carlos Valdez muttered, kneeling down to examine the door more thoroughly.

His lab coat brushed the dusty desert ground. The door was not being held up by any external forces, and there was a faint knocking from within.

"You should get home, Carlos the Scientist."

"Hm?" Carlos hummed, touching the door's frame and scribbling more notes on his tablet.

"Tomorrow's Street Cleanin' Day."

"Oh..." Carlos had no idea why that was such a big problem but he did what he always did in those kind of awkward social situations: he nodded.

John Peters (you know, the farmer?) tipped his hat respectfully and began to walk back towards the silhouette of his farm house.

Carlos' phone began to ring. The caller ID said Cecil. He took a few seconds to consider whether he had the courage and the time to talk to Cecil. He decided that as John had essentially ordered him off the property for the night, he should probably respect those wishes.

"Hi, Cecil." He answered. "Make this quick, will you? I'm investigating a very important scientific-"

"You're not home?" Cecil interrupted.

"No...." Carlos replied.

"Carlos, go home! Please!"

"Cecil, I'm invest-"

"Carlos, the Street Cleaners are coming tomorrow and I don't want you getting hurt. Please, you need to get home and prepare."

"I....wait, STREET CLEANERS?"

"Yes! You must get home, sweet Carlos, and barricade your lab immediately."

"If they are that dangerous, why have I not heard about it?" Carlos said, picking up his bag, holding the phone between his face and shoulder as he did so.

"No-one likes to talk about it." Cecil said darkly. "Look, I've probably said too much. Just...protect yourselves, please?"

Carlos rolled his eyes and he severed the phone connection. He then texted Jeffries.

'On way back. Barricade windows immediately.'

His phone alert went off a moment later.

'Can do. Why?'

'Cecil's raving about some danger thing. Potential for harm, but I'm not sure I believe him yet. I'll be back soon.'

Carlos slipped his phone into his lab coat pocket and gathered his things.

He hoped that Cecil was pulling another joke on him, like he had when he first came to Night Vale. However, given the tone and urgency of Cecil's voice, he didn't think that he would be that fortunate.

~

When Carlos returned to the lab, the sun had almost faded from sight. But the lack of light did nothing to mask the unfamiliar unmarked car outside the facility, and the two figures standing guarding it.