"We'd better watch them. I put all the projects away, but still," Carlos chuckled. "Ellie was always a dancing drunk. It's fascinating how a mere molecular compound like ethanol can have such a sig-"

"Oh shut uppp, Carlos. Get a boyfriend already so you can still divert your arousal to science." Ellie said. She then paused to replay what she'd said in her mind before deciding it probably made sense to someone and put another jelly baby into the test tube.

"Thank you, Dr Valdez." Perez gave him a rare grin.

"Hm?"

"Thank you. It has been a nice day, despite our setbacks. You did not have to organise anything."

"Of course we did." Carlos said cheerily. "Did your sister call?"

"She did. I got her parcel yesterday too."

"Oh?"

"She bought me new clothes." He smiled slightly. "My niece Sophia chose them."

"That's adorable." Natalia giggled.

"I would like to see them at Christmas if that is alright, Dr Valdez."

"Of course it is. Speaking of which, does anyone else want to go home at Christmas? I mean, we can't risk anyone coming here."

"I would, Carloose." Ellie said with a sappy smile, wandering into the next room.

Carlos didn't have a problem with that. Ellie's family were great. Her little sister was hilarious and her family were fantastic at parties. It made sense that she'd be spending Christmas there.

"Me too." Jeffries said. "I haven' seen my twin bro' in a while. Now he's in New Yor' on business at Chris'mas, so I'd like ya see him."

"Granted. What about you, Natalia?"

"Um...." Natalia said shyly, tucking a strand of black hair behind her ear. "Can I stay here?"

"If you like." Carlos said, surprised. He himself had declined his mother's offer to go home for Christmas. Partially because the Catholic guilt was strongest then and at Easter, but mainly because he wanted to do some projects of his own over the break.

Science, after all, did not stop for Christmas.

"Natalia!!" A shriek suddenly came from the other room. "NATALIAAAAAAA!!"

"Ellie?!" She rose from the sofa arm where she'd been sat, putting her lemonade down on the side.

The woman half-stumbled back into the main lab. "Liyard!"

"What?"

"LIZARDS. Escaped!"

"Escaped?!"

Natalia, Perez and Carlos looked at each in horror before running after Ellie. The lizards, now a metre and a quarter long each, had seemingly gnawed through the three inches of steel that held them in their cases and were wandering around the laboratory.

A window on the left hand side of the room had been broken. There were two lizards in sight; the other three, two boys and a girl, were nowhere to be seen.

"We have to call animal control." Carlos muttered as made Ellie stand behind him with Jeffries as they were still pretty smashed.

"But...." Natalia sounded hurt. Carlos didn't blame her. After all, it had been her project.

"I'm sorry, Ms Johnson. They are a threat at their size." Perez put a comforting hand on her shoulder as Jeffries picked up the phone.

However, this all was cut short by the action of stepping back as the two lizards (Natalia figured by the tags that they were Trixy and Bruce) advanced forward, Trixy swishing her tail when she looked in Natalia's direction.

Natalia knelt down.
"Johnson, come back. They're dangerous."

"They know me."

"S'not Game of Thrones, Natalieooo." Ellie said from the doorway (with as firm a voice as someone that intoxicated could).

"Johnson, please. We need to leave and seal the door."

"One moment!" She hissed. Natalia reached out to the female lizard in front of her and it leaned into her touch, rubbing itself against her palm with delight. Trixy had always been the most tame of the nest.

"Oh, Trixy....I'm sorry." Natalia cooed to the lizard, before flinching back slightly as Bruce got restless and sent fire to a small spare lab coat.

"Goodbye, Trix...." Natalia tickled the head of the female lizard looking up at her once more, before Carlos pulled her arm back and they left the room.

~

After the aftermath of the breakages and analysing the damage, Carlos went and sat with Natalia.

"Don't worry, Johnson. We got so much fascinating evidence to analytically pull apart in order to show biomolec-"

"Thanks, Dr Valdez." She said stiffly, as they watched the Night Vale Animal Control unit (already rather dishevelled due to their dog pack encounters) take away Trixy and Bruce.

"Do not fret, Miss Natalia." Perez said kindly.

"M'sorry, Edwardo." Natalia muttered.

"What for?"

"My project ruined your birthday." She said meekly.

"Oh Miss Natalia!" Perez smiled warmly. "It did not. I had excellent company for my birthday. The best company." He put her hand on the sad girl's shoulder. "So do not fret."

Natalia gave him a small smile and the two men decided it was best to let her have a few minutes to gather herself.
Jeffries and Ellie, meanwhile, had sobered up slightly and were listening to the radio together.

".....Ladies and gentlemen, good news! Mayor Pamela Winchell called a press conference moments ago, declaring an end to our dog pack terror!..."

Jeffries called to Carlos. "Boss! We're allowed ta leave th' lab now!"
Carlos poked his head around the door before turning to Perez.

"Big Rico's?"

Perez nodded with a wry smile.

"Big Rico's."

"Can we watch Batman now?" Ellie quipped from the kitchen.

"NO!"