Natalia blinked for a moment before answering.

"Either way, it's beautiful, Cecil."

"It's no problem." He blushed slightly.

"Have you heard about this new strip mall they're opening? Apparently they're going to have a Pinkberry!"

"No way!" Natalia said with a grin. "Pinkberry was always a rare treat where I grew up. Slightly dodgy side of Chicago."

"There is a slightly dodgy side of Chicago?"

"South side." She said. "It's not terrible, just...not as fancy. Carlos said that too, when he went."

"May I ask....how is Carlos?"

"He's good, I guess. He's been busy a lot. We all have, but Carlos will go without sleep until he fixes a problem."

"Oh." Cecil said in a surprised tone. "Why does he do that?"

Natalia shrugged with a soft smile. "He loves his work. You of all people should understand that."

Cecil blushed again. "Well, I wouldn't say that..."

"Cecil, everyone who listens to your show can tell that you work hard and love your job."

"I....thank you, Ms Johnson."

"No thanks needed. By the way, can I ask you something?"

"Yes, of course."

"Have you ever seen these before?"
She pulled out her phone and showed Cecil a picture that she'd taken that morning of the lizard nest.

"Hmm...I haven't personally. I'd ask Old Woman Josie. She was a keen gardener when she was younger. Maybe she's seen some before?"

"Thanks. I'll go and ask her soon. Do you fancy a cup of coffee?"

"Actually, I'm afraid I have to get to the station. My show starts in an hour and station management have been tetchy recently about arrival times. Poor intern Mary felt their anger yesterday as she arrived late. The shaking fear has left her in a coma, so she got off lightly."

"Geez." Natalia said. "Well I'll see you soon. I'll try and persuade Carlos to drop by. He still hasn't seen Khoshekh, after all."

"Thank you again, Ms Johnson. Safe journey home."

"You too, Cecil. I'll be by my radio."

~

"Ugh........"

Carlos gently shook the sleeping Perez as he tried to make sense of their surroundings. Everything was pitch black and it smelt like algae, the only light provided by a dim red glow from an old lamp in the corner of the room. It illuminated a small space blocked off by a typical cell bar door.

"Edwardo, are you okay?"

"Yes. Where are we?"

"I don't know, but I would imagine the police station."

Carlos said, and sat up properly just as the radio in the corner of the room next to the lamp perked up as it always did at Cecil's show time.

"Rabbits are not what they appear to be. Welcome To Night Vale...."

Carlos turned the radio down slightly, moving towards the bars of the entrance. Whatever was beyond him was hidden by shadows, but he asked anyway.

"Who's there? Where are we?"

"You don't need to know the answer to either of these questions."

"Why are you keeping us here? We only tried to-"