My phone rang and I reached in my pocket for it. I closed my eyes hoping that it was Reid. The person on the other line was the first to speak. My eyebrows knitted together and a slight frown took over my face. His voice was not as husky or low as Reid's, so I knew it was Christian's.

"Hey you weren't answering any of my texts so I've decided to call you. Why haven't you been in school, when are we going to work on the project? I think maybe six."

I groaned, slapping my hand to my forehead. How stupid could I be?"I'm so sorry Christian but I'm in New York right now."

"New York?" Confusion tainted his voice.Why are you there?" He asked.

I was relieved he didn't sound too angry at me and wondered if I should tell him the truth on why I was here."I uh had a fight with Reid." Big mistake.

"So you decided to fly all the way to New York?Cara do you know how crazy that sounds?" Now I could hear disbelief and disapproval in his tone. He was right, it was pretty reckless of me to do something like that. Was I always like this?

Still I bristled with annoyance.

"You don't know what happened," I said defensively,"plus I really don't need you yelling at me I already feel crappy."

"Sorry, but our project is due next week, and we have to finish working on the project so I suggest you get your pretty little butt back here." He sounded annoyed, all traces of disbelief left his voice and anger replaced it.

Besides Reid and occasionally Max, he was one of the only guys I could turn to. I didn't want him to be upset with me. "I'm sorry." I sniffed and wiped at a tear.I wasn't sad or anything, just thoroughly exhausted.The run made me bring back a lot of memories, most of them centered around Reid. Not to mention the fact that I was so tired that my emotions were getting the best of me.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to make you cry, are you alright, is everything okay?" The genuine concern made me feel even worse. More tears started to fall.

"God I'm too emotional. I'll go to a library and finish researching my part today and tomorrow and I'll see if I can catch a flight before Sunday. Then I'll drive to your house to see if we can put the finishing touches on it."

"It's cutting it close alright, but okay let's not tell Hurricane Hannah or we'll feel her shitstorm." Christian's voice went back to default humor.

I laughed, it felt good to do so."You're right I'll see you then." I hung up and started back to Ashley's house, I would need to tell her about the sudden change in plans.As I walked home my mind wandered to Reid. Could I face him now that I was going back to California? How was I going to face him at lunch, we had the same group of friends.

I guessed I would hang out with Christian, but that would make Reid jealous. I sighed, why should I be worried about Reid, he was the one who lied to me. I felt so conflicted now that the anger went away, I felt alone.Ashley was my best friend and so was Lisa and Christian, but they weren't mated to me. I didn't long for them as I did Reid, and at the end of the night it wasn't their shoulders I wanted to cry on.

The more my mind focused on him, the more I picked up my pace; even though my body was clearly telling me to slow down. I was so silly to revolve my whole life on one person, because apparently even mates could let you down as well.

My knees stung as they hit the pavement.I turned the street to Ashley's house. I knocked on the door, but realized no one was there. I sat down on her steps.

I remembered I had planned to stay out longer. I still had forty five minutes before Ashley got here. My throat was dry, and I chastised myself for not carrying water.