Off to Neverland (14)

Start from the beginning

I was able to get to class a few minutes before the bell rang, and I couldn't help but make a face when I remembered how Courtney had to sit right in front of me. She usually only looked behind her shoulder to give me a snide look, but sometimes she would make fun of what I was wearing at day if she didn't like it.

And since I was wearing the scarf that Henry had knitted me, I knew she was going to make a comment.

But honestly, that was what I wanted.

Chloe scampered in about a minute before the bell rang, breathing heavily as she collapsed into her desk next to me. I smirked at her, but that only caused her to glare at me while she breathed in and out, trying to regulate her breathing.

Courtney and her friends sauntered right in a second before the bell rang, just like they always did. But even if they came inside a half an hour late, Mr. Forbes wasn't going to do anything about it. Because not only did he not care, but since they were close with The Lost Boys, he wasn't going to mess with them.

"Ugh, not that ugly scarf again," Courtney commented as she took her seat in front of me. "Will you just take it off and burn it already?"

Everyone else who had seen the scarf that I was wearing said that they loved it. Courtney was the only person that said she didn't like it, and I knew it was because she just wanted to get to me. I just didn't have the heart to tell her that it wasn't working...

I ignored her, listening to whatever Mr. Forbes was saying. I knew that this was exactly what I was going to have to do when I went to my next period right after, since Eli sat right next to me there.

"Are you listening to me?" she scowled, waving her hand in front of my face now. "Hello?"

"I'd like to listen to what the teacher is saying and learn, thank you very much," I almost snapped at her, leaning to the right a little to try to see what Mr. Forbes was writing on the board. If Courtney didn't have such a big head, I would have been able to see...

Courtney continued to scowl at me, now looking down at the butterfly necklace that hid under the scarf. I knew she didn't like that either, but I couldn't have cared less about what Courtney thought about me or what I wore.

"You should burn that necklace first," she sneered before finally turning back around toward the front of the room.

A pang of fury shot through my body, annoyed when she had mentioned my mother's necklace. Even if she knew how important the necklace was, or the story behind it, she wouldn't have cared one bit. Her mother was still alive, and she was rich and always got everything she wanted.

The class went by quickly after that, and Courtney didn't turn around to make fun of me anymore. I trudged all the way to my next period with Chloe, not in the mood to deal with Eli. I was really never in the mood to deal with him, but today I just didn't want to speak to him.

"Why, hello," he smirked as I sat next to him. I didn't even acknowledge him; I only looked over at Chloe as she continued to sit across the room from me. I then looked over at the empty seat behind her, wishing that I could have sat there.

Why did I have to be seated next to this moron? Why did Mr. Pars have to sit me next to him? It was ridiculous! Why would he seat the new girl next to the scariest boy in the entire school when there was a free seat right behind my roommate?

"Are you ignoring me?" Eli now asked, his grin growing as he leaned closer to me. I fought the urge to make a face at him, leaning away just a little so I wouldn't be so close to him. I was going to kill Mr. Pars for putting me here... "You're hurting my feelings, Ivy."