Chapter 14: Dean

Chapter 14: Dean

It was the blaring sounds of an alarm which woke me up from my light slumber on my desk.

The loud ringing voice which suddenly exploded from the speakers startled everybody for a moment or two before all of us kickstarted into action simultaneously. I looked at the clock on my desk to see it was 3:56 in the morning.

I jumped off my squeaky chair and hurried out, behind some of the fellow members of my squad as they were going to get geared up. I was completely awake now, my mind active with all the adrenaline in my veins.

Entering the locker room, we all grabbed our uniform and started putting them on. We were all serious and forbidding, anticipating what we were getting ready for; our movements were swift and hurried.

A single minute hadn't passed since the alarm had blared, that we were all out and prepping the firetrucks

A single minute hadn't passed since the alarm had blared, that we were all out and prepping the firetrucks. Every second counted. We didn't know what we will see when we reached our destination. A person could be suffocating right now, and it was our duty to save them.

Dad came out of his office, his face grim. He was dressed in normal clothes unlike us. He looked at me and started off speaking. He was the Chief of Department and one of his duties was to address us before we went off for our mission.

"Fire is SFH," structure fire commercial, "at the Pandemonium store on West 34 and Fifth. Dean, you are the lead on this one." Crisp and precise. I was the Assistant Chief Operations, so I guess I wasn't surprised that the command came to me. My father would stay here with a small portion of our entire squad in-case there was another fire in our city.

I nodded and we all settled inside the first truck. Out of the four firetrucks we had, we were taking two of them with us. Three people were on the front seat, the other three were at the back, beside the ladder. I was sitting beside Jamie, a member of our team, who was driving. Kellan was one of the people who were with the ladder in the second truck, right behind us.

My thoughts drowned out the sound of the siren of the truck, as we made our way to the place where the fire was.

It was the same Pandemonium store where Veronica had stopped and looked into when we were on the way towards her car, the day we met in the club

It was the same Pandemonium store where Veronica had stopped and looked into when we were on the way towards her car, the day we met in the club. I pursed my lips as I thought about the store.