Chapter 31: Veronica

I smiled at some of the paparazzi on the way as I went towards the bar. I could hear them screaming my name and literally demanding me to stay still so they could click a photo of my dress. Since the venue was well lit, I was thankful that I didn't have to deal with the annoying blinding flashes of light.

I loved the cape look my white jacket gave me as it swished along with my every move and pairing it up with a lacey corset was just one of the brilliant ideas I had while I was in the shop paying for it. My beautiful clothing was complimented by almost everyone here today and I was riding high on the feelings. It almost made it worth the crazy amount of money I had spent for it.

"People might think you are planning to kill me if you keep staring at me like that

"People might think you are planning to kill me if you keep staring at me like that." I looked up from behind my lashes at Dean after ordering my drink, who grinned at me rakishly, standing beside me.

He was dressed very smartly in a deep maroon suit with matching pants and a matching  shirt underneath. He had trimmed his beard to resemble a stubble instead and had his necktie open, which overall gave him a cool, relaxed, and approachable persona.

I stifled a gasp as he lifted his hand and straightened the pearl earring of my left ear, lightly brushing the cartilage with his fingernails, sending a jolt down my entire system

I stifled a gasp as he lifted his hand and straightened the pearl earring of my left ear, lightly brushing the cartilage with his fingernails, sending a jolt down my entire system. Let me tell you, I burned up. I was so hot I felt the sun had nothing on me.

How is a move so simple be so exhilarating?

He leaned in closer as I held my breath, staring at the collar of his shirt because I knew if I looked up, I might turn into a puddle. His cologne was already having a dangerous effect on my senses.

"I am staring at you because I can't take my eyes off of you. I would love to kiss you right now. You look gorgeous. I can see myself fighting in a gladiator arena for you."

Hello 911? I require an ambulance because I just flatlined.

"Wh...H..Wh..." I sputtered out as Dean leaned back and laughed heartily, enjoying my obvious embarrassment. It was stupefying how easily he had said those words. And it was so attractive. This man knew what he wanted and was not afraid to say it. That was something I had not seen before.

People are all about playing games and leaving another person to pick up on cues and guess about their motives and everything, but Oh Lord, Dean was the complete opposite.

"Hey, now." I turned towards Samantha as she hugged me to her, hiding my reddening cheeks while giving a disapproving look to Dean, who in turn, just turned away after giving her a resigned look.

Samantha was a beauty. Well, she was a model, she had to be, but she was very inferior to outsiders. And outsiders are anyone who hasn't been in this industry for a couple of years. It was a pain sometimes and over the last couple of years there were a few complaints against her, but she was very good in her work. I had signed her on for this event as an extra in case of emergencies.

"Do not talk to your seniors that way." Samantha raised her voice an octave, drawing attention of a few people nearby, which slightly alarmed me. Dean turned in surprise at the confrontational tone.

Samantha discriminated discreetly, and it was completely unlike her to call someone out so publicly. I jumped in instead, not wanting gossip to spread as more people subtly diverted their attention towards our conversation.

"I am hardly his senior." I gave a small laugh. "Dean is a couple of years older than me." I held back a wince as Samantha's grip tightened on my fore-arm and she turned her brown eyes on my face. She was about to say something when Minnie brilliantly intervened, slightly pushing Samantha out of the way as she forced herself between the two of us.

"Ronnie, Dean! There are a few people I would like you to meet! Follow me, please!" She fake-smiled at Samantha and then ushered us towards another group of people.

"I can't thank you enough." I whispered to her on the way. Dean was walking behind us, silently fuming. He had tried to befriend her earlier but had given up after a few choice remarks. They had this cold war between the two of them now.

"Don't mention it. Samantha has been acting this way the entire trip. I am trying to find out what is up with her. No luck till now."

I nodded and focused on the beautiful woman who magically appeared in front of me.

"Jay!" She smiled, coming towards us and then literally brushed past me to go to Dean and drape herself on his arm, much to his bewilderment.

"My, my." She reached up and tapped her long fingers lightly on his cheek, her golden bracelet catching the light attractively. "I will have loads of fun with you." And, she winked exaggeratedly as I just pinched the bridge of my nose, already pitying Dean.

"Uh..." I have to give props to the man. He casually disentangled himself from her and shifted so that he was on my side, opposite Jay. I thought it was time to introduce these two as they will be spending a lot of time together.

"Johana, this is the one I was talking about. Dean, meet Johana, she will be giving you a crash course on being a model from tomorrow."

---

Will it help if I apologized and said I am finally over my writers block so you can expect faster updates?

Let me know.

Thanks for reading!

-A