Chapter 45: Veronica

The excruciating pain on the side of my head and my shoulder was the first thing I felt when I came to. My eyes opened on their own accord as I twisted my head a bit to alleviate the pain in my shoulder. For some reason, it was throbbing almost like it was being burnt. A quick glace reassured me that no part of me was on fire. Fighting the drowsiness, I looked around me.

Flash wasn't in the room. Only a few rays of the sun passing through the single broken window reflected on the wall and informed me that it was probably in the afternoon of the day.

But. Along with that realization, came another. I was wearing a straitjacket. I tried moving my arms, but the way I was bundled up, made it impossible. I still struggled, though, never giving up hope. I had to get out of this. Now!

After a while of constant movement in order to at least loosen the straps, I took a deep breath, trying to remember what I had learnt during a defense class a few years back. Much to my frustration, nothing was coming to mind.

"You can try all you want, I made sure the binds are all in place." Flash shot me a grin as he watched me from the door, leaning against it. A whimper escaped me involuntarily as he came in through the door, carrying a small bag. I regretted not listening to sounds of footsteps outside when I was fighting against the jacket.

I tried to huddle back in the corner, trying to make myself as small a target as possible. I was scared of him, the flashback of him kicking my face still painfully seared in my memory. This made me aware that there was something sticky on my face which matted my hair. Out of all liquids, blood seemed to be a good guess with the metallic smell in the air.

I hated the situation I was in. In an abandoned morgue, wearing a straitjacket, with my legs bound and kidnapped by a psychotic man. He had already beaten me, and I had no way of contacting anybody. I wasn't even sure what Flash had done on my phone before breaking it. I had no idea whether I will live in the next minute or will die at his hands.

I wanted to laugh. And then I wanted to cry. I wanted to pull my hair out. I wanted to break down.

I wondered what would happen if I actually did die. I was an orphan so at least I did not have parents to worry about. But it killed me that I never even said goodbye to my family. The last time I had seen Zoey, Alex and Natalie was when they were leaving for New-York after my event.

What would happen to my company?

I guess Alex could take care of it. I am sure Zoey would be devastated. But she will move on sooner or later. The last words I had spoken to Natalie was how I will get lots of date syrup for her to put on her pancakes.

All my past regrets came to my mind, making my headache worse. There was so much still left to do, so much I wanted to experience. I have never even told Dean how much I loved him. I wondered when Sunday comes, will I be in his arms or six feet under.

I never considered myself a damsel in distress, preferring to solve my own issues my way, but all I wanted in that moment was for Dean to burst through the door and save me from the nightmare I was in. I tried to remain noiseless as sobs racked through my body. I prayed to god so hard that he would help me. But seconds ticked off into minutes and nobody came.

"This is the last piece to complete the look. It will all come together with this." Flash said out loud as he neared me, holding the bag he brought in with him, behind his back. The smile on his face was nothing short of creepy.

"Wha..." I gulped, bearing the feeling of pins and needles in my throat. "What do you mean?" I whispered, fighting my instincts as my jaw trembled in fear, making it hard to speak. Still, I pushed myself into the wall a bit more, just to escape him.

"This, of course." He held it up for me to see in the dim light.

I squinted my eyes to try to recognize whatever he was holding in his hands. The shape was of a rectangle. It had two wires sticking out. And the front surface was glossy.

At first glance, it was more like a thick phone or an iPad or a small box.

"Tadaa!" Flash sang as he deftly attached the device to me. He fished around in his back pocket for a while before taking out a small car key. As he waved it around almost dancing, I became more and more apprehensive.

What was he doing?

But then, reality hit me like a tsunami and my mind went blank. Sudden stab of terror pierced my gut like a knife, twisting it painfully.

This was a—This was a—I heard the click of the button in the silence of the room before looking down in horror when the few numbers appeared on the screen.

10:00...

09:59...

09:58...

I could not breathe; I could not think. All I could do was stare at the counter counting down. I barely noticed how my heart began to pound. How I started to shake. How I sweat poured down my face.

All I could feel was overwhelming sense of nausea and dizziness. The numbers on the counter blurred as my vision faded in and out. This is it. This is the end. Dying with a bomb attached to me. Dean wasn't coming. Nobody was. In a catatonic stupor, I kept staring.

08:21...

08:20...

But suddenly, the timer stopped and reset to 10:00.

Hurriedly, I looked up, hoping with all my might that someone must have come to save me during the time I was fading in and out, too focused on the timer, but that hope was crushed as I saw Flash shoot me an evil smile. He sat down on the chair he was sitting on before and folded his long legs to cross one over the other. He rested one of his arms on the table beside him and tilted his head at me.

I panted, tears and snot running down like waterfalls on my face. I didn't want to instigate him further by saying or doing anything which could easily backfire on me. I could not afford to be clumsy with my words or my actions. I knew things could get very much out of hand. He had all the power over me, and I could do nothing but succumb to it.

"This was fun. Let's try one more time."

And again, the click resonated in the room as the countdown started again.

And again.

And again.