Chapter 44: Dean

Chapter 44: Dean

"She isn't the one who uploaded this picture." Zoey stated as she went over the post on her phone while her husband, Alexander peered over her shoulder.

We were currently at the Kimball residence and the couple in front of me, were standing in their robes. I had looked at my surroundings as I waited for them to analyze the Instagram post and found the place quite homey.

I had never been to a billionaire's place before, but I guess I had it in my mind that it would be big and ultra-modern with elevators and or robots or something. In stark contrast to my thoughts and beliefs, the place had a rich and antique look to it, which I admired.

It was neat and clean but still messy enough to know that a child was living here. Natalie's toys were scattered in a corner and I could see some paint and brushes kept on the dining table. There were pictures of the family everywhere, on the side tables, the walls. I stared at a picture kept in a frame on a side desk, of Veronica holding a baby Natalie in her arms on a beach. The clock which was hanging on the wall above it showed it was five in the morning.

"How do you know?" Alex asked as he took out his phone. "It looks alright to me?" He said sipping his coffee, but it came out as a question. I tried to control my knee from bouncing so much in restlessness. The coffee which Zoey had made, was a bit too strong for my taste and did absolutely nothing to calm my anxiety over the situation.

"No, look, she has not given the picture credits." Zoey stated as I felt my lips curving into a smile, glad to know that I knew Veronica a bit. She was always meticulous in her posts, always sending out love to her followers and putting up cute captions, along with the picture credits to the one who took the photo. It was a ritual for her, and she liked doing it, not because she would be criticized in the media for not giving credits, but because she genuinely believed that good work of anyone needs to be appreciated.

"But wasn't this taken by you? I mean, she could be tired after the fashion week and forgotten to do it?" Alex's yawn was cut short when his foot smaller wife grabbed his ear and twisted it.

I winced along with the billionaire, feeling phantom pain in my ear.

"This is not Ron. Also, didn't Dean said that the car she was supposed to go in was late? In whose car did she leave, then? Why am I not able to get through to her phone?" Zoey released his ear as she finished making her statement and instead hid her face in her palms. "What if she is really kidnapped?"

I watched uncomfortably as Alex drew her in his arms for comfort, shifting my gaze to give them some privacy. My eyes instead landed on a small crying figure who had been watching us from the stairs.

"Natalie." I stood up in alarm as Zoey and Alex broke apart and turned to look where I was looking. The five-year-old gasped as she was caught, before she ran up the stairs, slamming her door while Zoey fell down on the sofa again with a thump.

"I will check with Minnie. She is Veronica's assistant, right? She has the card of the detective who had come when Ronnie was in the hospital. He might be able to tell us something." Alexander said, as he scrolled again on his phone, possibly through his contacts. "Maybe a call to the mayor will help speed things up." He wondered out loud.

"You...you think its Flash?" Zoey's whisper carried across the room. A chill ran up my spine. A terrible premonition began to stab my gut. Alex let out a shuddering breath as he nodded. Meanwhile, I clenched my shaking fingers in a fist, praying to god that Veronica was okay. I knew briefly what had happened between Flash and Veronica. It was such a small thing, that I found it a bit difficult to think that someone might actually kidnap or hurt someone but if it's him...I don't know what I would do. 

Zoey looked alarmed. As Alexander called Minnie, she got up and put a comforting hand on my shoulder. "I am sorry, Dean, I need to go check on Natalie."

"I understand completely, I will just go back home and freshen up for a bit. Please let me know if there are any updates." I directed the last part to Alex, who nodded in return.

I was about to turn around and leave, but Zoey stopped me again. "She will be okay, Dean. She has to be." Pain was etched on her face as silent tears streamed down her face. It was like she was trying to comfort herself rather than me. My eyes stinging with unshed tears, I nodded as I patted her hand unable to form words.

This was a difficult situation for us to be in. We all knew how much Veronica has suffered in her life, with her being an orphan and then with her lung transplant. I couldn't even begin to think what she could be going through right now.

I couldn't think.

The way back home was a blur to me. It was like my body was on autopilot as I hailed a cab and got in. I didn't even know if I had even mentioned my address to the driver. I came back to reality just as the car stopped and I had to get out. I paid him with some cash I had, and with the subconscious knowledge that the driver had not picked up a fight with me for paying less, I knew I had paid the exact change or more.

My mind was lost in stress as I got in the house, the thoughts plaguing me. As I carelessly flung my bag in the corner, I slid down the door, gritting my teeth and clutching my head in madness. My phone beeped and for a second, I thought it was Veronica.

I hastily took it out, but to much disappointment, saw it was a text from my network subscriber advertising a deal. My focus shifted to the wallpaper I had kept, of Veronica and myself, a picture we had asked another person to click. 

We were initially standing together in front of an artificial waterfall in a mall, with our arms linked. But an awkward joke at the right time resulted in this picture of us doubling over, holding our stomachs.

It was a beautiful candid image and I smiled.

I kept smiling till I broke down in smithereens. 

---

Did I get the feels right?

-A