Chapter 48: Dean

Chapter 48: Dean

"I do not like this at all." Jake almost whined as he watched me strap on a bulletproof vest. The red and blue light of the police vehicles enhanced the frown lines on his face.

"I don't give a rat's ass as to what you like." I retorted.

"Just because you are barely affiliated with Mr. Kimball and not to mention, my dad, doesn't mean you can call the shots."

"I don't care about calling the shots. I will follow your lead. And it's not like I am totally unexperienced. I can give first aid and can take care if there a fire." I tried to reason calmly, even though the vein in my head was this close to popping. Precious time was getting wasted during our bickering.

"Take care of the fire with what?" His incredulous look was hard to miss. "Your bare hands or your Superman cool breath—"

"Can both of you kids just shut up!?" Dad exclaimed as he joined us with his best friend who was still in the police force, Daniel, with whom he had drinks with before his retirement party, beside him. Dad had officially retired as the Fire Chief now, but when I had called him regarding what was going on with Veronica, he had instantly reached out to Daniel for help.

Who knew Jake Nicola was Commissioner Daniel Nicola's son? The former was irritated now because he had the mayor, who was a close friend of Alex and his dad breathing down his neck to let me take part in the search and rescue operation, despite his many objections.

Jake and I both glanced at each other and then looked away, rolling our eyes, irritated with the situation. Even though I had signed a document stating that in case anything happens to me, I will not be suing the police department or Jake, it still wasn't enough for him.

"Jacob, I need to talk to you. Come here a minute." Uncle Daniel said as he pulled away the detective from our small huddle. I sighed, watching my exhaled breath turn white due to the cold. Wondering about Veronica's health, I prayed that wherever she was, she was alive.

"You really like her, don't you?" Dad stated the statement as a question, as other policemen hurried to get the barricades for the perimeter in place.

"There is no one else for me." It was all I could say. But I think it conveyed all my emotions. I felt my heart sinking in my stomach again as I blinked back tears. Trying to calm down, I gulped as I refocused on a group of people arming themselves, thinking about what was coming next.

The plan of attack was simple, once the perimeter was in place, the police will divide themselves in two teams and take one of the two streets where Jake had narrowed down Veronica's location. Finding her was of the utmost priority as well as taking down Flash in case he triggers the bomb and sets it off.

Thinking about Flash was giving me chills like no other. During Jake's research on him, he dived deep into his life and found out that he had an obsessive compulsion disorder which was kept hush and downright ignored like a myth by his agency, despite knowing that he had a prescription which he hadn't refilled in a while.

Jake had summarized before ending the meeting at Alex's place before that it was quite possible that he had set his target on Veronica after what happened in her office and was planning on humiliating her before killing her. Even though it was scary to think what he might do to her, it gave us some time to rescue her.

"Fine. Dean, you are with me. You do not do any Superman stunts but provide first aid when we find her." Jake muttered as and the commissioner reached us after their conversation. My heart warmed slightly when he said 'when' instead of 'what if'. Maybe someday Jake and I can be friends like our fathers.