Chapter 1: Veronica

Chapter 1: Veronica

The nightmare started like it usually did.

And helpless like always, I was watching it happen all over again.

I saw the girl enter the apartment with a small smile, thinking about something and absently kick off her high black heels. She then bent to position them carefully alongside the door, beside a pair of sandals and sneakers.

I saw her straighten and stretch her tiny bony figure to loosen the muscles in her back and then sigh in pleasure when she heard a 'pop!' sound. Then moving forward, she threw her purse on the sofa and hung her key on the key-holder.

I watched her as she made her way towards the bedroom to change her clothes but decide at the last minute that she wanted to take a bath first.

She shut the door of the bathroom and a while later, I heard the sound of water filling up the tub. I know I should have stopped her, should have done something but it was of no use. She couldn't see or hear me. I have tried so many times...but this is a nightmare--my nightmare--and my subconscious hates me so much that almost every night when I close my eyes, it makes me live it to the fullest.

Dreading what is going to happen next, I walked into the bathroom passing through the door with ease.

I saw the girl relax in the hot, steaming water, closing her eyes and shifting around in the tub till she was comfortable. I saw her fall asleep.

Suddenly, a loud, sharp sound filled the air and the girl opened her eyes. Blinked once and then, it happened.

I wasn't watching the girl like a bystander anymore. Oh no. I was living it.

I jumped out of the tub and hurriedly put on my bathrobe, not noticing how my hands shook in the process. Fear was gripping my heart, terror was consuming my mind, despite how many times I tried to bring it under control.

I slammed the door open, only to see some black fumes coming in from the gap between the floor and the front door.

There was a burning smell in the air and a noises of people screaming "Fire!" and rushing down the stairs. Sounds of sirens could be heard faintly over the cackling of the heat.

My mind immediately went into over-ride and I hurried into my room to get some--any--belongings of mine. Unfortunately, I could do nothing as for the millionth time, my foot caught itself in the carpet of the apartment.

I fell, and painfully banged my head against the floor. A whimper escaping my lips, I tried to stand up and just get the hell out of the apartment, but my foot was protesting loudly. Falling back on the floor, I clutched it, sobbing and cursing my luck.

The thick black smoke was everywhere now, choking me, suffocating me. Tears leaked, as I struggled to take a breath.

With my vision swimming, I tried to stand up again, but failed

Feeling faint, I tried to crawl on all fours. But when my foot shrieked in pain, I gave that up, too.

Coughing hard, I made a fetal position on the floor, clutching my chest, as I struggled to take a breath of fresh air.

"Hello!?" A loud male shouted from somewhere. "Anybody here?!" he yelled once again. The voice was so far away that any call for help was useless.

Is that my end? I thought idly as my vision grew dark. The sheer bathrobe was now beginning to feel itchy, despite what the salesperson at Victoria's Secret had said. But I guess in another couple of minutes it wont matter anymore.

I closed my eyes as darkness wrapped me in its folds. I smiled, suddenly thankful that Zoey, my apartment-mate was not in here with me. A sob escaped me. Zoey was practically the only family I had ever had. I couldn't bear to lose her, I just couldn't. I had to fight.

As my resolve strengthened, I opened my eyes and gave out a weak cough. I was about to close my eyes again in despair when suddenly, the front door came crashing down and a person entered, bringing magnitudes of smoke in with him.

But through his googles, his dark, dark eyes found mine, and he said something, but with a jolt, I found myself waking up from the nightmare, on my bed in Bahamas, with my ears still ringing with his voice.

"I have got you."