CHAPTER 4

- Meldamiriel's POV -
In about three days, I reach Rivendell. The excitement overflowing from inside me, but I am also nervous. What if they don't accept me? What if I have to live on my own for the rest of my life?

Okay, too many what ifs. I shouldn't worry myself with them. I take a deep breath in and exhale. I am ready. I go through the kingdom gates, and walk to the castle.

On my way to the castle, I admire the many people around me. The kids playing happily, couples walking. Couples... I wish I had someone to love, and to love me.

I wish I could meet a man who is kind, sweet, generous, and brave. I sigh as I walk. I could never fall in love. My heart had been sealed up years ago when my parents died, when the man I loved denied my feelings and played with them. Like I was his toy. He played me well. Sometimes I wish men like that didn't exist. Then nobody would get hurt, but that's not how the world works now.

I have been depressed since the horrible things that had happened to me. If I ever found a man, he would ask me how I'm doing. I'd say I'm fine, and he'd grab me, make me look him in the eyes, and ask me if I'm really alright. Then I'd break into tears and tell him how I'm falling apart, and how broken my heart is. He'd hold me as I cry and tell me he's going to fix me, and he will.

I reach the castle and enter it. I am amazed by the architecture. The paintings, statues, and art of many kinds are astonishing. I can't take my eyes away from some. It is remarkable how some people have this much talent.

After speaking with some guards, I am in the presence of Lord Elrond. He greets me kindly, and I bow before him.
"My Lord Elrond. I have come to Rivendell in search of a place to call home. I offer to contribute to the kingdom in exchange for a place to call my own."
"What is your name young elf?"
"Meldamiriel Ringwen, my Lord. You may call me Melda."
"Melda... What happened that has brought you here?"
"I lived in Rohan under the care of my adopted parents. My parents died years ago from an ork attack. I had been falsely accused of a crime, they threatened to tell King Théoden if I didn't leave. I fled Rohan and I came here."
"Ahh... Well, Melda, I may have a place for you. What do you offer to contribute?"
"I am skilled in the art of healing. I offer to become a healer."
"I see, and how many years have you been training in this art?"
"About two thousand years my lord."
"Well, Melda. I have pleasant news for you. I will give you a place in the castle, but in return you must be one of the royal healers. Understood?"
"Yes, Lord Elrond"
"If you abuse this chance, I will take back all I've given you. Understood?"
"Yes, Lord Elrond"
"Good."
He smiles at me. A kind, genuine smile. He turns to his guards and commands them
"Guards, take Melda to the room next to Lady Arwen, make sure everything is suited for her comfort."
The guards motion for me to follow them, and they lead me to my new room. They make sure everything is suited to my comfort and leave.

It is late, and I am tired. I change into my nightgown, which is given to me along with my new room, and climb into the bed. Surprisingly, it is quite comfortable, but my mind keeps racing. Thinking about my new home, and what fate has in store for me. I can only wonder. Will I ever find love? Real love? Will I find people I can trust? All these things seem impossible to someone like me. I can't trust people, I'm scared to. I can't even fall in love, I'm too scared. If I ever fall in love again, I'll slap myself. Love only leads to hurt. That's what I've learned.

~~~~~~~~

I didn't sleep well last night, but I was, and still am nervous for my new job. I am a little tired, but I'll be okay. I walk into the area for my new job as a healer, and I am kinda excited.

The day is slow at first, nothing but a few guards reporting about some things. I don't pay too much attention to them. I take out my sketch book and start drawing. I draw a puppy, then I draw a elf. The elf I'm drawing has blue eyes, long blonde hair, and a handsome face. He kinda looks like Prince Legolas. I immediately blush. I wish I could meet him...