she had worked there for a few months now, and since emmett was such a good friend, he let her have her own terms as an employee — and a big voice whenever there was a decision to make.

after serving a few tables, a familiar voice filled the place. she turned around to be met by vanessa who was softly smiling.

"hey, juice girl. what's up?" cassie just pointed up at the roof and heard emmett snort from behind her. "i hate you so much sometimes."

"the usual?" she asked with a giggle and already walked around the counter.

"yes, please." vanessa replied as she sat down on one of the bar stools.

"i can't believe you like carrot juice." the boss commented from beside them and peered up.

"will you ever stop judging my choices?" vanessa deadpanned and spun around in the stool.

"probably not." he answered bluntly and wrote something down. "i need to serve a table. be right back."

emmett grabbed two plates with a hamburger each on one arm, and then two drinks with his free hand. he left the two girls with a charming smile, causing cassie to roll her eyes.

"so are you here to just be here or do you have anything to say?" she asked while tightening her ponytail, and then made the juice.

"bit of both. i wanted to see how you are." vanessa smiled and rested her cheek against her palm.

"i'm fine." cassie responded a bit too quickly and mixed the juice.

"how come i don't believe you?" the blonde one said and glanced up at the roof.

"because you're stupid." she mumbled jokingly and poured the liquid in a glass. "i'm fine, as always. why are you asking?"

cassie frowned funnily before grabbing the drink and moving towards a booth. vanessa jumped down from the chair and followed her, speaking up.

"because you don't seem so fine. i'm your best friend and i notice stuff like that. alex has too. so open up to me, come on." vanessa sighed and rolled her hands in the air, as if to gesture for her friend to talk.

"here you go, a banana and strawberry smoothie." cassie smiled at the customer before turning around. "nessa, drop it. i'm fine." she added and decided to clean some table of empty items.

"no, you're not." vanessa stated as she crossed her arms together.

"okay, alright!" cassie exhaled and turned around to look at her friend, not bothering to keep it in anymore. "you're right, i'm not really okay. a few days ago i said something dumb."

"a few days ago... your family dinner?" vanessa figured it out quickly and frowned.

"yeah. matt came with me because marcus asked him, and we were having a really great time. then something happened in the car, i don't know. so i cracked a stupid comment, and now everything is so awkward and tense. i can barely speak with matt without feeling bad."

cassie explained quickly, hugging a towel with her hands. she hadn't spoken to him in a while now; it was tense. her comment really got to him, and it showed. she just didn't know what to do.

"matt has been pretty down lately now that i think about it."

"not helping."

"sorry."

"matt who?" emmett suddenly passed them and carried a box of fresh fruit to the cold room, where they stored everything that needed to be in a cold place, like a fridge.