Forgiveness

I take a deep breath, knowing I have to bring this up. It's going to be awkward, I know, but I have to find out how Marshall thinks of me. Are we dating? Are we not? Does he want to be? All awkward tough questions that I need answered. Now that we're finally alone, away from all this chaos with Gumball, I need to work up the nerve to ask about us. I'm leaning against his shoulder, watching whatever is playing on the TV at my treehouse, but I sit up once I'm ready to bring up the subject.
"Marshall, I need to talk to you." He smirks, and I'm instantly confused. Does he know what I'm about to say? Will he laugh at my silly question?
"Funny you should choose now to talk. I was just about to say that same sentence. Let me talk first?"
"Well, I really need to say this..."
"Trust me, what I have to talk about is probably more important. So, shut up before I loose my courage." He half jokes, giving me a small chuckle.
"Fine." I sigh. Maybe this is a sign that I shouldn't ask him now. Now might not be the best time, and he's trying to tell me that.
"Listen, Fionna, are you listening?" I nod, giving him all my attention. "I'm a demon. I don't think I'm BAD, but I have bad in my blood. So, I guess I never thought I was capable of love. I always messed with you and stuff, you know that. But I...you're different. Well not DIFFERENT, like, good different, like not the same as everyone else I've met?" He trips over his words and scratches the back of his neck and I giggle.
"I get what you mean." I assure him. That gives him the confidence to go on. He takes a deep breath.
"I never thought I was capable of being loved, but here we are." That's when he takes my hand in his, and a smile spreads across that pale grey face. "So, Fionna, since I never properly asked you and you deserve being properly asked, will you be my girlfriend?" Now a smile spreads across my own cheeks.
"Of course." I say, and instantly fling my arms around him. "You know, I was gonna talk about this exact subject. Asking what we are; if we're dating you know." I say after a second of letting myself rest in his arms.
"Great minds think alike, babe. But I'm glad I went first." He kisses my forehead before we fully pull apart, but I don't want to be done cuddling up to him. I don't think I'll ever want to stop. I lean forward to kiss him, but the chime of the clock in the other room stops me. That chime signals that it's time to go. "Let's get the Gumwad situation done and over with." He hops up off the couch, taking my hand and pulling me up with him.
"It's not like this is the last time I'll see him." I giggle, squeezing his hand lightly.
"It is if I have anything to do about it. And I do. I'm your boyfriend." That makes us both smile wide. Hearing it out loud made it so official.
"Come on, let's go."

~~~~~~~~~~

The courtyard under the palace is filled with people of all kingdoms. Gumball had told all the other princes of his great speech he had to give today; and those princes told all their people. I didn't know so many people could fit in such a small space! Marshall holds my hand tightly, so we don't get separated as we squeeze through the crowd. I receive dirty looks as I pass all the citizens. They still think I betrayed Prince Gumaball, but that's about to change. I look around searching until I see Cake. She's off to the side, away from the crowd so that her babies can play safe on the ground. Once we have a good view we stop walking and wait. When Gumball walks out onto the platform above us the whole crowd erupts in cheers. I just stand there waiting. He waves his hands, signaling for the crowd to quiet down.
"Alright, alright, thanks you everyone. It's good to see all the kingdoms gathered in my kingdom here today. I thank you all for understanding and being willing to come out today. What I'm about to speak about is hard for me, but I know it's the right thing to do." He pauses, taking a deep breath nervously. "I need to right the wrongs I've done." The crowd murmurs amongst themselves, confused. Gumball just speaks over them. "The talk of the kingdoms seems to be my ex-wife, Fionna." The people next to me look toward me and I grip Marshall's hand a little tighter. Hearing him call me ex-wife is so strange. Almost as strange as hearing him call me his wife not long ago. They probably thought this speech was going to dump on me more. The looks I'm getting are pure hate. I don't blame them. They'll understand soon enough. "Please, hear me out. This is my story, and I have to start from the beginning. As most of you know I love experiments and everything of the science sort. I have a lab in my castle and am constantly in it. Sometimes I don't put my kingdom first because of it. Realizing that, I figured I needed someone to run my kingdom for me, but I didn't just want to give it away. I thought a second in command is what I needed, but I was too shy to admit I needed help. That's where I came up with the idea of getting a wife to do all my kingdom jobs that I didn't have time for along with my experiments. Fionna is one of the strongest and best leaders I've met, so I proposed, so that she could do my job. But that's not the only terrible way I treated her. When I proposed I lied to her; telling her that I just wanted to excite the kingdom through my love story. I didn't let her leave the kingdom. I didn't let her see her friends. And then I lied more when we divorced. I made you all turn against her when you should have been turning against me." Dead quiet. Everyone's eyes on him. He lowers his head and takes another deep breath. "A lot of you may be tempted to hate me after this, and that's fine. I'm not telling this story to you all to ask for you to forgive me. I'm asking that you treat Fionna right, because she did nothing wrong. I did." Now eyes are on me. Everyone in the crowd had spotted me.
"But I forgave him!" I yell out, hoping my voice can carry far enough to reach everyone in the crowd. "He may not be asking for forgiveness but I'll ask that you forgive him. If I can, then so can you all." It's quiet again. Everyone gives me blank stares until Marshall starts clapping. His clap spreads and soon everyone is clapping; smiling up at Gumball. People rush forward and hug me, apologizing. So many people come to talk with my that I can't comprehend who hugged me last or who's hugging me now. It's a blur of love and forgiveness, but it's perfect. I turn to hug Marshall, but he's looking off at Cake and her children.
"Do you think one day we can have children that cute?" He asks. Even though it's crazy to think about children when we've only started dating, the thought warms my heart. I can't wait for the family life I hope to have with Marshall Lee.
"Even cuter."