Chapter 23

Celeste POV

I caught sight of the office building we'd been staying in and dived down. The mist was still behind me but not by much. I landed and burst through the front door. Immediately I locked it shut ran to all of the windows to make sure they were closed and locked.

"We've gotta get this place closed off," I said breathlessly.

"What's going on?" Sakima asked.

"Mist. Poison. Death," I said losing my words. I knew I was working myself up, but it was going to hit within the next few minutes.

"Look outside," I said when he gave me a confused look.

He walked to the front door, and that's when I noticed his sister was there. So was this guy that looked a lot like Jake, I could only assume that he was Guilherme his cousin. They all peered out of the main door and I could see their backs stiffen.

"I've got this," Guilherme said. There was a gust of wind and a blur of color and suddenly he was gone. A few seconds later he was back and had a handful of seat cushions he must have gotten from one of the lounges. He pressed them up against the door frame.

"Now, I don't believe we have met," he said offering a smile. He was just as handsome as Jake was, but he had a thick accent.

"I'm Celeste. You must be Jake's cousin. Guilherme?" I said trying not to butcher it's pronunciation.

"Close enough," he chuckled. I knew that look in his eyes - it was the same one Jake often gave me. A shiver ran down my spine. I was wrong for leaving him behind like that.

"Celeste?"

I turned around and saw Lili standing there.

"I am relieved that you are okay," she said.

"Me too. Have you seen Timothy?" I asked. She nodded and turned around. I followed her.

"Do you want to tell me why Timothy was the one that saved everyone and not you?" She asked once we were out of hearing range.

"I-I caved. I froze up and broke down when it came time to get the job done. One of the guards recognized me from the last raid they did on us. Jake was shot within seconds and they hit me over the head. I didn't think I could get him out and even though I was able to release Salali from her cell, it was just too much. They had us cornered. I'm....I'm a coward," I said feeling the tears well up again.

Lili tsk'd at me. Her hands held each side of my face.

"You are not a coward. You are a creature with emotions and survival instincts," she said.

"That's easy to say now. What if I go back out there and do the same thing all over again?"

"There will be no repeats."

"How can you be so sure?" I asked.

"Because the only way to survive in this situation is to fight back. And I know that your instincts must be telling you this by now. It is okay to be afraid, but the time of inaction has passed," she replied dropping her hands.

She was right. I knew it and so did she.

"Your brother is exhausted and Jake is alive. You and I both know that only you can fight the humans right now," she said.

I nodded.

"I just need to lay eyes on my brother. I'll check on Jake afterward," I said. Her expression became a little guarded when I mentioned Jake, but I decided to ignore it.

I walked into the lounge where Timothy was sleeping. He looked so peaceful even though his hair spread out in every direction. After a few moments, I was satisfied that he was okay. He had to be wiped out.