[MBW]- Chapter 14.

Start from the beginning

"I get that but—" He paused to remove his right hand from my shoulder to place it on my left cheek. "But, he's not okay. He's sick but with the right treatment, he will get better. He has the ability to get the world's best specialists at his beck and call. You worrying about it is not what will help."

I scoffed,

"I don't need to worry? About my dad?! The only person in the world that can actually handle me and doesn't see me as worthless, apart from, like, two other people. If something happens to him, I would lose my shit. And, not the kind where I get angry at everyone like I'm doing right now but the kind where I'll become the girl that's closed off again. I don't want to be that girl again." My voice betrayed me as it broke during the last sentence.

I felt the tears pooling in my eyes.

Twice in one day.

As if Ethan sensed my need to stop crying he said,

"It's okay to cry. It doesn't mean you're weak, everyone has their days. But, Charlotte—hey, look at me..." He put his finger under my chin and made me face him with teary eyes.

"I promise that I won't let that happen to you. You won't break because he's not the only person that cares about you or loves you. Okay? I promise." He said and I felt a little bit of the sadness leave me at his words.

Ethan had endured so many of my insults and jabs but he was here standing in front of me promising me something and looking at me in a way that no one had in a very long time. And, that's when I realized that I was past seeing him just as a friend. I found myself falling for his sweet words, charming smiles, stupid jokes, and even his cheesy pick-up lines. That was not the plan. However, for once in my life I embraced the spontaneity of it all. I embraced the feeling that came with being around him and finding the ability to see light even during a dark time.

I leapt forward and hugged him. And, there was a stark difference between that hug and the one in the morning. It was just different. I had my arms wrapped around his neck and his were wound tightly around my back. I could feel his rapid heartbeats, which probably matched mine and how his head seemed to have dropped on my head highlighting the height difference.

But, soon, reality came crashing in like a tsunami and I had to pull away. He reluctantly let go of me too, but kept his arms around my waist and looked at me in a way as if he already knew what was going on inside my head. He was usually correct.

Looking at him looking at me like that I realized that we wouldn't work. We were too similar and our past would always create a line between us. The line was blurred right now but eventually, we would get past the fleeting moments and realize that we weren't cut out for each other.

Besides, it was probably just a crush. I was hormonal and being around him for so long was bound to create some other feelings. And, I didn't want to ruin the friendship we had created over a crush.

I had other things to worry about, too. My dad and my best friend's wedding being the two priorities.

"I have an idea. Why don't we watch a movie because there's no way either of us will be able to sleep? That'll help divert your mind." He suggested and I melted just at the sight of his smile.

_____

"You aren't seriously making me watch Despicable Me?" I groaned as I walked in to see Ethan pressing confirm to rent the movie for 24 hours.

"This is the only decent thing in their collection unless you want to watch Titanic or The Notebook? They really need to expand their options." He said and I shut up at the other two offers knowing they would just make me sadder.