[MBW]- Chapter 14.

Start from the beginning

"So, I have decided to book a flight for tomorrow afternoon. Fortunately, someone backed out and I was given the last available seat. I can't leave him alone during such a difficult period. I hope Vanessa and her family understand." Mom continued and for the first time, after a significantly long period, I found myself sympathizing her.

Our relationship may have been an absolute disaster but I knew she loved my dad with everything in her and she would not be able to enjoy a wedding knowing he wasn't doing well.

I nodded my head not trusting my mouth to form any proper words. I wasn't sure what I could say that would make her feel better.

A part of me wanted to go back with her. But, it was Vanessa's wedding. She was my best friend, my sister and I knew she would totally understand if I left but I couldn't. I didn't know whether I was making the right choice in staying but it was the practical choice.

I had given my everything to her wedding and by going back to my dad, he wouldn't miraculously get better. A few days wouldn't hurt, surely.

Suddenly, she got up and started heading to the door and stopped just short of it. Ethan, to her left, was still standing there looking a little out of place. I felt like an idiot for practically forcing him to be there but it was an impulsive decision and for some reason, it provided me with comfort.

"I need to get going. I just wanted to update you on what was happening. I'll tell Shannon to let you know if anything changes once I get back. I hope the wedding goes well and please pass on my blessings to Vanessa and Aiden," She said and promised a dinner with Vanessa and her family after they were all back to make up for her abrupt absence.

"Yeah. Of course..." I said, my voice sounding a little hoarse with the lump that had grown in my throat.

Another impulsive decision was made as I wrapped my arms around her and she patted my back too before saying goodbye and walking away.

I leaned against the door and closed my eyes relishing at the moment. It felt like forever since I had hugged my mother and my chest ached when I was reminded of the old times when life was much easier and my mom was a mom rather than a stranger.

After collecting myself, I sprung from the door and tried to locate my phone to call my dad immediately. I needed to know he was fine.

"Char? Hey, Charlotte. Stop!" Ethan's voice stopped me and I faced him.

He closed the distance between us and placed his hands on my shoulders and his warm hands brought me back to reality.

"He'll be okay. Mr Forde is one heck of a strong man. I know he'll get through it," He assured me and I would be lying if I said that the lack of confidence in his voice didn't make me feel worse.

"I need to call him." I pleaded and tried to step away from but he refused to let go and only tightened his grip.

He closed his eyes for a second and when he opened them, they were full of pity. Pity that I didn't want or need.

"There's a time difference, babydoll. He's probably sleeping and you don't want to disturb that. You can call him tomorrow or leave a message."

But, everything he was saying was going over my head. I was so wrapped up in the worry and anger that I was close to losing it completely. The blinding ache in my head was only making the situation worse.

"I already left him a message, Ethan! He hasn't replied. I just need to talk to him and know that he is okay. I won't fucking get sleep if I don't know for sure that my father is okay and sleeping soundly!" I lashed out but Ethan didn't seem fazed by it at all. He looked like he was expecting it.