Fade into the Darkness

Author's note:  Ok, so I made this chapter relatively dark.  I needed to make this story darker.  There were a lot of loopholes (and there still are), so I needed to explain them.  I originally planned to write this chapter later on in the plot line, but I was really in the mood to write some emotional stuff.  

Sorry about the long delay!  School is literally killing me!  I hate Junior year!  It sucks!  So much freaking work!  

Anyway, this is a somewhat confusing chapter, but I actually kind of like how it turned out.  I fell in love with the name "Rhion" after I read this amazing Hermione/Tom Riddle Jr. fanfic called "Take My Heart Away."  

I honestly don't know why I had Draco show up in this chapter, but I felt like it needed it happen.  I'll stop ranting!  

READ!  And please comment :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hermione.”  I called out.  It seemed as though I was spending most of my time in the Gryffindor common room. 

“Yes?”  It was almost as if she were specifically waiting for this moment in time.

“Are you sure we’re doing the right thing with… with, you know, this group?”  I hesitated.

“What do you mean?” she replied, wearing a look of perplexity and curiosity.

“Seamus was talking about ‘false claims.’”

“Yes, well, it is rather unfortunate that Seamus’ mother refuses to acknowledge Voldemort’s return.”

A tenuous thread within me seemed to snap. “Don’t say that! Don’t talk about him!” I vituperatively barked and gave her a penetrating glower. 

“Who? Voldemort?  It’s not as though he’s going to randomly appear here, Ami.  Have you read Hogwarts: A History?  No one can Apparate or –”

Sudden scenes flashed before my eyes, causing me to comprehend my hatred.  “I need to rest. Bye, Hermione,” I cut and stormed out of the room, with tears filling the brim of my eyes.  The demonic figure haunted my memories and deluged my dreams.  I cannot believe the nerve of that horrendous man – had he no sense of morality or righteousness?  Must he continue to murder until he reached his zenith, even though he acquired an indelible title and power years ago? 

Scurrying through the halls, I made my way through the courtyard and settled down beside the thick trunk of an oak a few feet away from the turbid depths of the Black Lake.  Memories flooded my brain, causing me to shirk away from the equally harsh facets of reality. 

Flashback – five months ago

“Mother, father! I’m home!  I brought Violet with me!” I bellowed as soon as I opened the door of the mansion.  The somewhat cloying aroma of vanilla was redolent throughout the air, just as I preferred it.  Violet, my 11 year old sister, smiled and jumped around excitedly as she explored the depths of our cozy abode.  Both of us had just returned from Myriade, the magic school in New Zealand. 

My mother and father dashed down the stairs and embraced both of us in a grand hug.  I stared at my mother’s auburn streaks and bronze eyes.  Although her lineaments had lost some of their sharpness, they retained their kindness, but I could see the faintest trace of sorrow behind that façade of happiness. 

My father’s lengthy raven locks caressed his aging face and squished against my face.  I slowly broke away from the loving embrace and patted my little sister’s red hair, raking her strands through my fingers. I pressed my pixie-like nose to her hair and took in her sweet strawberry scent.