| Chapter 21 |

Vincent Montgomery

I found it ironic, how a simple occurrence could change one's life as much as it did. How being in the wrong place, at the wrong time could be the cause of such atrocities.

I would have given anything at that moment to take my sister's place, the ambulance sirens blazing as they rushed her, Brianne and Adam to the hospital. If only my girlfriend hadn't been sitting on that side of the car. . . If only I'd at least been driving, then it wouldn't have been their lives at stake.

Our whole life together flashed before my eyes in a haze of rushed memories as our parents, Lillian and I rode in the police vehicle, on our way to the hospital, the thought of Arabelle or Brianne dying painfully unbearable.

It was at that exact moment, with the fear of losing two of the most important women of my life that I realized how much I actually appreciated them, regardless of how much time we wasted arguing throughout our lives. It was then that I wished I could take back so many things I'd said, a massive wave of regret crashing upon me, the literal feeling of being drowned with emotions overpowering my body.

Tears brimmed my eyes, every fiber of my being attempting to hold them back, causing for them to pool inside my eyes, the journey to the hospital taking longer than what it should have-- Or at least that's how it felt like for me; my mind overflowing with a mixture of memories, unwanted thoughts and scenarios.

Time went by at an excruciatingly slow pace from that moment on, the wait in the hospital worst than the ride there, my heart feeling as if it was being torn to pieces, thrown onto the grimy hospital floor. Each minute felt like an hour, and each hour felt like a day, but after what felt like forever, a tall, shaven man that looked to be in his forties made his way toward us, his eyes trained down at the clipboard in his hands.

"Family of Arabelle Montgomery, Adam Jacobs and Brianne West?" He asked us, eyes now focused on my parents, little sister and I.

My heart thumped even louder inside my chest as we all nodded, anticipation burning inside my stomach, mixing in with nervousness and heartbreak. I was dreading what the doctor had to say, seeing as if my sister died, I wouldn't know what to do with myself, but at the same time, I wanted to get it over with, hoping that they were all okay.

The doctor cleared his throat, his sympathetic gaze causing for my stomach to drop with fear and dread for what he had to say, the only thing in my mind at that moment being how I hoped that at least my sister and girlfriend were okay.

"The bad news; Ms. West is currently in a state of coma and we do not know if she'll make it." The sympathetic tone of his voice did nothing to stop the pang of hurt in my chest, tears that I'd been trying so hard to keep in flowing like an endless river, a huge weight settling around my shoulders as it literally felt like my world was crumbling against me. "Believe me, we have tried everything possible, but it's not in our hands anymore."

My mind refused to accept the words that'd come out of the doctors' mouth, clinging onto anything that could make the scene that stood before me a simple nightmare, my head repeatedly shaking in denial. I refused to believe the fact that the woman I loved could die -- that Brianne West, the person who I'd spent most of my life with possibly couldn't live to be my forever.

"Now the good news," The doctor spoke once again, my watery eyes drifting to his own, somehow mustering up the energy to allow my ears to listen, though all I wanted at that moment was to collapse on the floor and fall apart, not caring however weak that might have seemed as the only thing that invaded my brain at that specific moment was that the love of my life was dying, and I might've not had another chance to tell her how much I loved her.