Backstory

Watari's POV

"Ah...another murder?" Soichiro Yagami asked himself while murdering papers were being compiled. I nodded and sighed, as I had look on the newspaper.

Man kills in a hospital in
Winchester, England 132 injured, 2 dead

Even so, the public doesn't know about the man's name. "M-Maybe we should arrest him! After all, it's our duty to be police officers!" Matsuda exclaimed, being his normal, energetic, yet annoying self. Then again, he was really young.

I felt my phone buzz under my thick coat as I kept my identity secret from these people. I answered the call and heard L's voice.

"Watari," he said in his usual voice. No change, as usual.

"Yes, L?" I asked him on the phone. I could hear his demands loud and clear.

"It seems necessary for you to come to England. I am already there, as usual. The orphanage there, it was close to the murder in the hospital," he said.

"Yes, I understand, L," I said as he hung up. I took my briefcase and walk away from the police department and booked my flight back to England.

*time skip*

By the time I had got there, I fell asleep and a flight attendant had to wake me up. I took all my stuff which was just my briefcase and saw the mass murder in the hospital with police tape around it.

L had also sent me a request to check out the murder scene. I showed the British police my card as I was able to duck under the police tape and walk inside with a breeze.

Inside, I could hear crying from the 7th floor. I was able to get up there when I found a baby swaddled in a small white blanket and was crying.

My eyes widened as I picked the little baby up and hushed it. It seemed to have stopped as I saw there were two bodies in this scene that were in body bags. Which meant that the two murders in the news...

...Was this child's parents..

The baby had showed me tiny baby fingers. Holding up the index finger on the right hand and the index finger on the other hand. After that, the baby put the hands away and fell asleep in my hands.

I had the baby in my hands and left the building, seeing Wammy's House in a distance. I looked at the tiny baby in my hands then back at the orphanage.

"Even though you don't have anything special in your mind," I said as my old fingers touched the little baby's forehead.

"You'll be taken care of in this new home."

November 5, 2004

???'s POV: Age: 10

"There's a reason why such a little thing like you is ranked the lowest," Mello said and continued to laugh at me while eating his chocolate. I silently cried as I hugged my knees and hid my face.

"P-Please...stop it..," I said and started to cry.

"Weak!" Matt yelled.

"Dumb!" Mello yelled as they continued to laugh at me.

"Hey, stop it," I heard someone say. I turned to look at someone familiar with his mustache and white hair and old age. I knew exactly who it was.

"Watari!" I exclaimed in joy.

He smiled at me as both Mello and Matt went away as Roger Ruvie spoke to them. Watari and I started to walk around the orphanage for a little bit.

"I see that they've been picking on you ever since I was gone," Watari said as I nodded sadly, taking out a small white cloth from my pocket.

"I needed to tell you something before I will leave to Japan," Watari said as I nodded and we stopped walking and stood in front of the playground of the orphanage.

"After 10 years they still haven't given you a name?" Watari asked, surprised as I nodded. He sighed and thought of a name in his mind as I could tell what he was doing. "Would you like, H? Or W? Oh wait, that's mine," he said and chuckled.

"I don't really like letters," I said as Watari nodded.

"Then, would you like numbers?" Watari asked as I nodded in agreement. Watari stood there for a bit, thinking about what number I would be.

"I think, 11, would be good," he said and smiled. I looked at my hands and saw that I stuck out two of my index fingers out and nodded.

"I like that number!" I said with a grin.

Watari smiled, nodding as he patted my head. "I'll be off," he said as I nodded. Watari walked off again.

"When you come back I'll give you a big hug!" I exclaimed and waved at him as he left.

November 15, 2004

11's POV: Age: 11

I couldn't help but think, the only person who I could see as a fatherly figure, or a grandparent, Watari, was dead. Even L, who we all looked up to as a role model. I tied my hair into it's usual side ponytail and held up both of my index fingers.

"This is me...," I thought and wiggled the left finger. "This is also me..," I thought and wiggled the right finger. I put the left finger behind the right finger and slanted it to be an X.

"I should be dead...," I thought as tears welled up in my eyes and I looked at the board and the people's names in order.

L
Near
Mello
Matt
Beyond Birthday
A
Linda
11

I balled my hands in fists as I hid my index fingers back to it's original places as I watched the sun shine into my eyes. It was hopeless to ever think, that I would be able to get out of this place.

February 9, 2010

It's been a while since I've been in this orphanage. A thought crossed my mind since I was the only one left in here. Near is now the next L, Matt and Mello are in America. Linda's a sketch artist for the police. Beyond Birthday is dead. I'm the only one left. Well, me and Roger. I picked up an enlarged hoodie that was Roger's as I stepped out of the orphanage building.

No one was left but him. There were no brilliant people with brilliant minds. I wasn't those people. I was just a person that Watari felt sympathetic for and took me in. The last thing I thought of the orphanage was one name.

Nate Rivers.

And I left the building with a sort of half smile on my fact.