Chapter 1

"And then you can work out the square root of x just by..." Mrs Dalton blabs away as she scribbles a formula on the board.

I sigh in boredom. I'd already learned this in my extra credit work. No, that does not make me a nerd, I'm just slightly invisible so like to keep to my small group of friends within school. I mean, who would want everyone to know their name and constantly have people whispering about them? Not me.

"Ashlyn?" Mrs Dalton says and I snap out of my trance, looking up at her. "Can you please explain this formula?"

I talk through the answer whilst the rest of the class are most likely sleeping. They all cheer once I shut up, which doesn't surprise me.

"This is so stupid!" Ellie says from next to me. "Who will need this in later life?"

"Well, if you're planning on being a lonely maths teacher like—"

"Miss Brookes?" Mrs Dalton interrupts me. "Do you have something to say?"

"No," I reply, not looking at her.

"Then please be quiet. I know that you already know this formula but the rest of the class need to catch up."

"Nerd!" someone yells from the back of the classroom. I turn around to see Nate, the most popular boy in school, smirking at me. I pretend not to notice and turn back around.

I was used to these kinds of comments. No one really knew me, but I was fine with that. I go back to my work silently until the bell rings for the end of the lesson. I mentally thank God that it was over before heading to lunch.

I meet Ellie, Lena and Jasmine at our usual table, setting my lunch down.

"Which one do you prefer?" Jasmine says, showing me two dresses. "See, I kinda like the blue one better but Ellie and Lena say the black one."

"What's it for?" I ask, wiggling my eyebrows suggestively.

"Jasmine has a date with Jack Marrow this weekend!" Ellie blurts out.

"Ohhhh," I laugh. "Wear the blue one, then. Jack will looove it!"

Jasmine goes the colour of a tomato and pinches the bridge of her nose in embarrassment.

"Please come!" she begs. "I don't even want to go!"

"It's gonna be really awkward with you two and then me on the side. Why did you say yes?" The conversation had suddenly become serious since I'd been invited on a date with Jasmine and Jack Marrow. He was a nice guy, just a bit weird.

"I don't know, I just felt guilty saying no for the third time," Jasmine sighs, seemingly giving up.

The problem with my friends was that we never attracted any boys, apart from of course the nerdy ones that are practically just like us. You get used to being invisible, I guess.