The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Seven

My reflection stared back at me. Did I look okay? Was I too much of a prude with this sweater, should I wear makeup? My mind was pounding with a million thoughts. Whatever good thoughts I had about myself earlier were washed away. My fingers played together as I continued to overthink. Why couldn't I just feel okay for five freaking minutes? Hailey had left for cheer and I was left without her here to reassure me that I looked fine. Yes, it's sad that I can't reassure myself but how could I? All I've known is my insecurities.

"Alison, honey, your date is waiting for you downstairs." I was pulled from my over-analyzed thoughts, Aiden is here. Lily's words sounded foreign as she called him my date. I was weird to hear him being called that. Having decided that I just had to get over my fears, I grabbed my phone and headed down to greet my "date."

I managed to squeak out a "hi" as I descended down the stairs. Aiden waited by the door, dressed in his usual attire. I couldn't say I was surprised that he was still so bland. We must not be going to a restaurant then, or maybe so, even then I doubt Aiden would attempt to dress nicer.

I felt embarrassed when Aiden didn't respond. He kept his eyes on me as I walked over to him. Swallowing the lump in my throat, "Is this fine?" I motioned to my outfit. His eyes shifted down to my dress. When he didn't say anything at first, a storm began to build in my stomach. Is he going to say it's ugly?

"You look perfect." Another compliment from Aiden? He was definitely after something. That was a given, I just had to keep my guards up.

"Thank you." That was the last thing that was said for a good thirty minutes after we left my house. I sat quietly in the passenger seat of his BMW. Was this going to be the whole night? Neither of us talking? Could I even gather the nerves to talk to him? Questions kept flooding my brain as we drove down the road.

"Where are we going?"

My voice seemed so small compared to his.

"You'll see when we get there." Well, okay. Pursing my lips, I sat back in the seat and focused my attention out the window. It wasn't much longer until we pulled into a parking lot. The sun was setting behind the trees as we got out of his car.

I looked around me expecting to see a building or something but to my luck, there wasn't anything but woods. Waves of nerves came crashing in as Aiden walked around the front of his car towards me.

"Here." He handed me a strip of cloth. What? I stared at the cloth unsure of what to do with it.

He motioned towards my face, "Put it over your eyes." It was strange but my hands begin tying the cloth around my face before my mind could even process what was happening. Once the cloth was tightly secured over my eyes, Aiden began moving towards the car.

Out of fear my hand latched onto what I thought was his arm, "Wait," his body halted, "Don't leave me here." I was too scared to take the blindfold off, but even if I had the guts too I'm not sure I would want to remove it right now, it's covering my tears.

"What are you talking about?" Aiden sounded confused like he didn't know what I meant.

"I knew this was a prank. I have no clue where I am and you can't just leave me here."

"I'm not gonna fucking leave you here Alison." A cool air filtered through my body as I calmed down.

"I'm getting something out of the car." Still a little weary, I let go of his arm and gripped the door handle just in case. A few seconds passed and a large hand scooped my small one up. Aiden interlocked our fingers and begin walking forward. More nerves built up in my stomach with every step I took. I didn't trust Aiden at all but for some reason, I was letting him lead me.