The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Five

Start from the beginning

"I've got practice today after school so I'm catching a ride with Lindsey." Hailey poured herself a cup of coffee.

"Okay." I grabbed a bottle of water and together we walked to my dad's old truck.

"He's so hot!" I ignored Hailey's comment as she drooled over Dylan, one of Aiden's friends. She's had a crush on him for the longest time even though he wants nothing more than sex from her, which she knows too.

"He's so not." I grumbled as I pulled my books from my locker. Turning to see where Dylan was, my eyes fell on Aiden. Aiden, Eli, Jason, and Dylan were all in a little group, obviously eyeing girls, picking their next prey. Eli and Jason were staring at some cheerleaders while Dylan was scoping out Amber, but Aiden wasn't looking at anyone. Not even his friends. Instead, he was staring at his phone, looking bored.

"Well, of course, you think so, it's because your secretly crushing on Aiden." Hailey joked as she looked at Aiden.

Heat quickly smothered my cheeks, "What? No. He's the last person I'd have a crush on."

She bit back a smile, "Mhm."

"I've got a test to fail. See you at lunch." Hailey threw her arm around me, giving me a brief hug before leaving me to fend for myself in the viscous halls, but it wasn't long before someone else showed up.

"Hey!" Kelsey smiled widely as she stood beside me.

I instantly calmed at the realization that I wasn't going to be alone for the whole student body to stare and chat about as if I weren't five feet from them.

"Hi." I smiled briefly.

"So, tell me." She locked her arm with mine as we walked away from my locker, "How was your date with the bad boy?"

I shook my head, "It wasn't a date."

"Okay, well how was your meal with him?"

Knowing that I couldn't really answer because we hardly talked and I barely ate anything, I just shrugged, "It was okay." That was true. It was bearable until he called me that name.

"So whats the whole situation with him anyways?" Kelsey wondered as we headed to our first class of the day.

That was a good question. I'd been asking that myself for three days now. What did Aiden Parker want with me? Why didn't he keep following me around and helping me when I didn't ask for his help? Why did he take me to dinner and sit with me in the library? I kept trying to think of a possible explanation because if it's the one thing that Aiden always wants, he wasn't going to get it, not from me. But even then, I couldn't find a reasonable solution to that either because I'm sure Aiden would want to be the last person to have sex with me. "I don't know honestly." Aiden never looked at girls like me so it couldn't possibly be sex.

"Well, Whatever it is, take advantage of it because he is hot as hell." He is hot but I did not want to explore whatever game he was playing.

"Hey, do you have a pencil I could borrow?" I glanced back at the new face in my chemistry class. A boy with brown hair and chocolate eyes smiled at me.

"Um yeh." Turning back around, I dug in my bag for a spare pencil, "Here. You can keep it." He took the pencil with a smile.

"Ms. Kane, the class is quiet while we work." My cheeks heated embarrassment as I was scolded by the teacher. For the rest of class, I continued to work, getting ahead of the rest of the class.

"Here you go." I glanced at the boy behind me as the rest of the class filtered into the hall. He still wore a warm smile as he held my pencil out to me.

I didn't take it from him, "I said you could keep it."

He pulled back his hand and shook his head at me, his smile getting bigger. "I know, but I wanted an excuse to talk to you again." A light blush crept onto his cheeks. "I'm Jake."

He must have been put up to this. Scared of what might happen, I quickly slung my bag onto my back.

"Whatever." I mumbled embarrassed, quickly exiting the classroom. Why can't people just leave me alone. He seemed so nice until then. I didn't understand why people kept messing with me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~