Chapter 38

All rights reserved

The immortals

CHAPTER 38

I was starting to get better. It was slow at first but now I was healing quickly- I had started gaining weight back and my hair was at a decent length. It was kind of nice to have it shorter than the usual long hair I was used to.

I started working out with the other women- target practice was my favourite time of the day. Throwing knives helped calm me down.

Caine played the part of a perfect mate.

He tried to be better, he really did. He also started wearing clothes he would never wear and growing out his facial hair- to look different I guess.

He never said it, but I knew it bothered him a lot that Octaves had chosen to look exactly like him. Every time he looked at me I could see that he wondered if he was himself or Octaves that day to me.

It was slowing killing him inside- and as much as I felt sorry for him, I really didn't. I tried too; but a part of me liked it when he suffered.  He wasn't the only one with a dark mind.

Caine voice rang through the house.

"Women! Where are you at?!" He sounded frustrated, "are you even coming?" I rolled my eyes at him and turned down the stairs.

" Calm down Caine, I'm coming... Plus if you were to show up alone what would your subjects think?" I stepped down the last stair and began to put my heels on.

Caine scoffed, " the pack members are not my subjects," he said as he stared at my breasts. I stood back up and smoothed my dress out, pleased at the added height.

" Then I don't know why you treat them like they are.." He finally looked up from my chest and narrowed his eyes at me. I looked him over, he looked good in his black dress pants and white shirt, the sleeves were rolled up.

" Why the fuck are your shoes so high?" He opened the door rather aggressively and I sighed.

" Because you are freakishly giant and heels make it so I'm at least taller than your elbow," I looked myself over once more and made my way out the door.

" I'm not freakishly giant..." He said behind me.

I waited for him to shut the door, "you are... But don't worry about, I know you like to look really scary and your whole...uhh..." I gestured towards him, "well whatever it is, others look at you and then turn and run away in fright. It's just how you are I guess," I shrugged and then patted him on the chest, turning towards the pavilion where everyone was gathered.

We made our way to our table and joined Alec and Ryan, beside Alec was Kalsey the demon. She was dressed in a black sleeved dress, her mass of red curls were held at the back of her head with a hair tie. I noticed how she fiddled with it, she probably wasn't used to her hair up.

If you were looking close enough you could see that she was chained to the chair. On ankle and one wrist. I winced at the thought of chains and turned away.

"Caine," Ryan nodded in Caine's direction as we took our seats, " ...and Lila- looking excellent as always might I add-"

Caine was quick to butt in, "No you cannot add. Don't you have your own fucking mate to get to- oh yeah she's fucking some human-"

Ryan snarled, he was clenching a steak knife in his fist. "At least I don't have to beat her up to make her sta-"

In a second, Caine had Ryan by the throat.

" Leave it alone,Caine," I grabbed his shirt and tried to yank him back. I glanced around and noticed people were starting to stare. Great... Just what we needed- everyone judging us. The pack was already having its doubts about me.