Chapter 12

All rights reserved

CHAPTER 12 (r)

A couple of days after I overheard Caine tell Alec I wouldn't be invited out on the hunt through the demon cave it was a full moon. To avoid a rerun of the last bad go with the moon, I mostly tried to stay in my room.

After a hot bath, I skipped my way back to my room. Caine was nowhere in sight, I hadn't seen him anywhere in days. Either he was staying in his office or some unknown location in the castle I wasn't allowed to know about.

This normally wouldn't have been a problem, except that for the first time in a long time, I actually wanted to see him.

I had a proposition for him. A bargain of sorts because 1- I WAS going on that hunt with them and 2- he needed to tell me what happened to my cowardly, traveling consort, Josh.

It's not that was worried about him. He was a snide little asshole, but in the back of my mind I felt mildly responsible for him. I just hoped he wasn't dead in a ditch somewhere, even after everything the kid didn't deserve to die.

Caine would know, and I was going to get it out of him.

Before I could put some clothes on Marlee rushed in and slammed the door behind her. She was breathing heavily like she had just run or something. She looked a little disheveled.

She noticed me staring and turned pink, " The night hunt just came in," she puffed, " ...and the full moon. Ry-" she cut her self off.

I raised my eyebrows, " Ryan would have been coming in," I told her with one hand planted on my hip. " What is with you two?" I asked.

" N-nothing Lila , there's nothing going on between me and him, Why would you think that," she laughed nervously.

I eyed her suspiciously and she shrugged.

I turned around pretending to something on my bed, " you know... Ryan is very attractive. I would like him too if I wasn't mated to Caine," I said nonchalantly and snuck a glance behind me.

" I don't like him. I don't know him. Nothing happened."

My face brightened, " then he likes you!" I exclaimed.

Marlee frowned.

I laughed, " he can't be that bad," I said.

She shook her head, " I don't know... I've only been here for a couple months and he hasn't proved to be any different then anyone else. He just wants me now cause there's no else around," she said with a nod, but I could tell she was hiding something important.

I turned, "well... whatever happens. I'll always choose your side."

The reasons why Ryan was so interested in Marlee didn't even cross my mind. I was too distracted in thinking up what I was going to argue to Caine. How would I make him allow me on the hunt?

After I changed into some clothes and Marlee left to eat her supper, I left to find Caine. If I didn't do it early enough in the evening he might have already locked himself in for the full moon.

"Caine?" I asked hesitantly as I pushed open the door to his office.

He was sitting on his desk looking over some papers. He grunted to let me know that he heard me but didn't turn around- this was to let me know that he didn't really care.