The Right Size - 5 (StopBodyShaming)

ANGIE

When Alex and my aunt yelled Happy Birthday in reunion, Angie was tongue-tied, staring at her grandmother. She realized her mistake and plastered a big smile on her face even though everything about it seemed fake.

Her mother or aunt didn't noticed but Alex certainly did, for she looked at her and mouthed 'What happened?'.

Angie simply shrugged and looked away.

Their mother was laughing and pointing at them saying, "I knew it! I knew you guys were up to something."

Alex laughed. "Guilty as charged."

Melissa and their grandmother walked in and after meeting Cassy, they hugged Alex and Angie. Both the girls were stiff when they held their grandmother in their arms who hugged them stiffly back. But so far, she hadn't said a word.

The party made its way to the living room, where Cassy and Melissa were busy catching up on each others' lives. Their grandmother settled herself on the sofa opposite to the talking women and had a slight smile on her face as she watched the sisters gossip.

Angie and Alex sat down on opposite sides of their grandmother and shifted, a bit uncomfortable.

After an hour of talking, Alex went into her room and brought out a box which she set on the table in kitchen. She called the rest of them inside and they shuffled in, Angie helping their grandmother into a chair on the table. She took her seat beside Alex and next to her grandmother.

They all had cake and everyone chuckled and laughed at the icing on top of the cake. Even their grandmother smiled.

Everyone had a slice and Angie got up to get everyone some lasagna that aunt Melissa had bought. She sat down in her seat again and continued to finish her slice.

Her grandmother looked over at her quietly as she swallowed.

"You should watch what you eat, Angie," she said, her fork making clanking sounds against the plate. Everyone else on the table froze for an awkward moment before they resumed eating again, acting as if nothing had happened.

Angie blushed and put her fork down, biting her lower lip. This was what she was afraid of. This was the minute that she had been dreading and now, she had been embarrassed in front of everyone. The tears started to sting her eyes as her lower lip threatened to tremble and it took everything in her to control herself.

She pushed back her plate gently and at that Alex stood up, her chair screeching loudly against the kitchen floor. Everyone looked up at her in surprise even Angie.

Alex was glaring at her grandmother. Her hands were clenched into fists by her side. "Why should Angie watch what she's eating?"

There was only silence and the old woman's face twisted in shock. She said in a low tone, "That's none of your business is it?"

"Oh yeah?" Alex retorted. "How is what Angie eats your business then? Why should she watch herself?"

Angie couldn't help but feel a sudden rush of gratitude for her sister and the way she was defending her. She would never be able to do that for herself or for anyone. But it also made her feel embarrassed that they were even having this conversation right now. She looked down, unable to meet anyone's eyes as Alex continued.

"You know what, grandma? You're one of the reasons Angie's so self conscious."

At that, Angie wanted to defend herself and say that that wasn't true. But who was she kidding. It probably was obvious how conscious she was about her body image.

"She has absolutely nothing to be conscious about. And it's your fault for making her feel this way when there's really no reason for her to feel that way at all."

"You watch your mouth, young lady!" The old woman snapped. "How ar-"

"She's perfectly fine!" Alex said, her voice raised now. "Look at her!"

For the corner of her eye, Angie saw her sister pointing towards her and that made the tears well up. Everything that she had been holding back, everything that had been said to her, everything that had been hurting her broke loose and it all came rushing out.

Why was Alex defending her? Why was she saying that Angie was perfectly fine when she wasn't? Was she pitying me, Angie questioned herself. She didn't need that kind of pity, she want it and never asked for it.

All those jumbled emotions caused her to stand up abruptly, causing the room to fall silent. All eyes were fixed on her as the tears continued to fall down her cheeks.

Angie's lips trembled when she said in a soft whisper, "I don't need you to pity me..."

Alex looked at her surprised. "Huh? When did I say that? I never pitied you, not once in my life. You know what, Angie? I think that you pity yourself!"

And with that, she stormed out of the kitchen, leaving Angie stunned at her words.

After a while, Angie looked around at everyone at the table still in shock and her mother walked up to her, her arms stretched out.

She let her mother hug her for a short while before mumbling, "I need to talk to Al."

She walked towards Alex's room without looking at anyone else and entered without knocking. Thank God, it wasn't locked.

She approached Alex's scowling figure slowly, her head bowed. Standing silently in front of her older sister for a few seconds, Angie's reached out and wrapped her arms around her. She had always taken her sister for granted, never really stopping to appreciate the way she looked out for her. It amazed her how long it took her to finally realize that after all these years and not once had Alex never been there for her. She had always watched out for her without asking for anything else in return. Even today.

She wasn't pitying Angie or anything but only doing what Angie should've done for herself: stand up. She should've stood up for herself.

Her arms grew tighter around her. "Thank you," she whispered. "Thanks for everything."

Alex's stiff body loosened up and she hugged Angie back. She stood there standing in Alex's messy room and hugging each other.

Angie knew that it was gonna take a while to be confident about herself. It may even take years to be comfortable in her own body but she knew that with Alex pushing her and standing by her side was going to be a big help. She was just going to have to accept herself and she knew that it was going to take time. But that was okay. She was okay. She will be better.