Is Anyone Home?

Oh, on a wire, we were dancing
Two kids no consequences
Pull the trigger, without thinking
There's only one way down this road - All Time Low, Time Bomb.

With a small jog I headed across the street from Patrick's place, forgetting to look as I crossed.

The flat storey building  was a red brick, with cracked windows and wooden panels against all the entrances. No one was there, nor had been for a long time. I went to look round the back.

The fence to the backyard had rotted away. It was still there, but with plenty of entrances for you to choose from. I chose the biggest hole by the bushes.

The panel by the back door was missing, and had been discarded on the lawn. I steeped in through the doorway.

It was quiet. No one seemed home. The surfaces were covered in a metre of dust, yet there was a single light on in the hallway.I avoided the lift guessing that it was either broken or about to. Climbing the staircase, I called out.
"Brendon?" No reply.

The door to number 669 was ajar. I wish that i'd noticed when I walked through and accidentally slammed the door behind me that the 9 had fallen down.

Room 666.

I also wish I'd been able to react fast enough to the fist which hurled towards me in the half-light and made contact with my face. Ouch.