Saving Stephenie - Chapter 16

Chapter 16

                “What are we doing here? It’s past midnight,” Derek hissed as we walked up the front steps to Teresa’s house. The windows were dark and the outside lights were shut off. There was not a sound to be heard except us talking in the dark. “We can see her tomorrow. I have the money for us to stay at that motel.”

                “Shut up,” I said turning to give him a look then back to the door where I rang the doorbell three times.

                “You’re going to wake them all up!” he whisper yelled and I just rolled my eyes.

                “Honestly, Derek. I think I know what I’m doing, so shush,” I said as lights clicked on in the house grabbing our attention and we heard footsteps approaching the door.

                The door opened to reveal a very exhausted looking Teresa with short pajama shorts, a white tank top, and huge fluffy purple slippers. She took a few seconds to process what she saw in front of her before she squealed and flung herself full force at me. “Stephenie! Oh my god, what are you doing here? This late too! Who is this?”

                I could barely understand her as she rushed to shoot the questions out at me. She had the habit of talking too fast to the point where no one could make it out; not even her best friend.

                “Let us in and I’ll explain everything,” I laughed. For the first time since I left North Dakota, I felt a real smile creep its way onto my face. I hadn’t let myself feel the longing to be with my best friend, I had shut out all the hurt over moving from her but now standing in her presence I realized that I missed her more than words could express.

                “Oh god, I’m sorry of course. Both of you please come in,” she smiled stepping back into the house and closing the door behind us.

                We followed her to her kitchen and I smiled at the familiarity. I used to spend most of my days in this kitchen. I even made out with some guy on the counter the one time I had convinced Teresa to throw a party. Now I sat at the same counter on one of the stools with Derek right next to me looking as awkward and uncomfortable as ever.

                “Aren’t you going to introduce us?” Derek whispered to me out of the side of his mouth.

                “Nah, too tired,” I joked for a second and he gave me a flat look. “Kidding, god. Teresa, this is Derek and Derek this is my best friend Teresa.”

                “You mean ex best friend, Teresa. Hi, nice to meet you. I’m her new best friend,” he smirked throwing an arm around my shoulder which I shrugged off immediately.

                “Excuse me?” she said crossing her arms and raising an eyebrow. “Back off scum.”

                “I knew I loved you for a reason,” I said smiling at her.

                “The usual?” Teresa asked smiling at me and opening the fridge.

                “You know me to well!” I exclaimed, and then turned to Derek. “You’re still confused aren’t you?”

                “Incredibly,” he said completely bewildered. “Didn’t we wake your parents?”

                “Ah, good old Charlotte and Jim,” I laughed calling Teresa’s parents by name. “Where are they this time, Reese?”