One

One

I stood in the rec room, breathing heavily as I stared at the punching bag in front of me. Sweat glistened on my body, and my muscles burned from the over exertion.

The lights in the large room were dim, except for the set directly above me. I glanced towards the back of the room, hearing movement near the treadmills.

"Who's there?" I called out into the room. I was supposed to be the only one down here, especially this late at night. Just as I had expected, there was no reply.

Glancing nervously around the room, the hair on the back of my neck and arms standing up, I reached for my sweatshirt that I had thrown onto the floor only hours before. As I stood back up, sweatshirt in hand, I heard a deep chuckle behind me that caused me to spin on my heel in alarm.

A young man stood there. His hands in his pockets and a smug look gracing his features as he slowly looked me up and down. I saw him mentally noting that I only wore a black sports bra and a pair of white workout shorts. Taking in a shaky breath I narrowed my eyes at the stranger.

"Excuse me, but this area is restricted. Only staff and immediate family are allowed on this floor of the building. And you are neither." I said crossing my arms over my chest. I was not, in any way, ashamed of my body, just weary of the man still staring at me.

The corner of his mouth twitched, suppressing a smile as he drew his eyes away from my scantily clad body to my eyes. My breath caught in my throat as I stared into his eyes. They were emerald green, a ring of gold flecks surrounded the pupil giving the effect of golden fireworks exploding above a lush green meadow.

"Renee." He whispered.

I paused, my mouth going dry.

"Look," I said pointing at him, my breath coming in fast. No one had said my real name since before my mother passed. "I don't know who you think you are, but," I began to say as he took a step towards me, an unknown emotion darkening his star flecked eyes.

He grabbed my shoulder, pulling me against his chest. His face brushed against my own as he leaned into my ear. His breath hitting my cheek, sending shivers down my spine.

"Baby, I can be anyone... or anything you want me to be." He said huskily before drawing away, a smirk on his lips. My cheeks began to burn a deep scarlet as an unusual warmth coursed through my body.

"I-I just want you to leave, you aren't supposed be down here." I replied, pulling myself away from him, my free hand held up as I slowly made my way towards the door.

An animalistic growl came from the back of his throat as I pulled my sweatshirt over my head. I saw his eyes darken once more, but this time with desire. But it was quickly replaced by rage as I slipped out the door. Hastily closing it behind me.

As I ran down the hall I heard a loud crash as something was thrown across the room and into the mirrors. It was quickly followed by a howl of rage.

I pumped my legs and arms faster, only slowing down as I turned into the stairwell. Cursing my luck that I was in the basement of the hospital. I knew, without any doubt, that the exquisitely attractive man I had left behind me was not human. I also knew, without a question, that if I did not make it to my father, there was going to be horrible consequences.