+Fourth

Ryan walks into his classroom after recess to see a piece of paper sticking out from the inside of his desk.

"Dear Ryan,

  Do you like like me? Check yes or no.

                               Love,
                                 Ashley Frangipane"

And below the sloppy cursive was a pair of boxes, one with the word yes and a smiley face above it and one with the word no and a sad face.

Ryan never paid attention to Ashley. He only remembered her when she was snotty to everyone in preschool.

"What's that?" Brendon looks over Ryan's shoulder.

"Woah, Ashley Fragipane likes you." Dallon nudges his arm. "Do you like her?"

"Not really." Ryan never thought about girls. He only ever hung out with Brendon and sometimes Dallon. No girl ever showed any sort of affection or even attention to him. Ryan searches for a pencil in his desk and checks the box with the word "no" above it. He writes "Sorry..." below the box.

"I can't give this to her." Ryan says with guilt.

"I'll give it to her." Brendon takes the paper from him and hands it to the curly haired girl who was just walking into the classroom with a smile. That changed quickly once she read Ryan's answer. She shows her friend Melanie the note when she asks what's wrong. Melanie glares over at Ryan as she sits down at her desk. 

And from that point on, Melanie Martinez hated Ryan.