+First

Brendon and Ryan already knew they weren't in the same class this year. That's what made them both dread going to the first day.

"Mom," Brendon whines, "I'm not in a class with Ryan anymore. I'm gonna have no friends."

"Yes you will. You'll make plenty of new friends."

"I don't want new friends! I want Ryan." He whines and flails his arms.

"You can still play with Ryan during recess. Don't worry, you'll be fine. I love you." She kisses her son's temple and lets go of his hand for him to walk through the gate to the playground. Brendon slowly walks towards the bigger playground that is secluded to first, second, and third graders only.

"Hi Brendon!" He hears behind him. He turns around to see Ryan standing by the gate, still holding his mom's hand. His mom kisses his cheek and says goodbye as Brendon walks back to walk with Ryan.

"I don't want to be in Mrs. Timm's class." Ryan says sadly.

"I want to be in your class." Brendon nods.

The bell rings and they go their separate ways sadly.

+++

Ryan scans his classroom to find any familiar faces. He recognizes Ashley from preschool. She wasn't very nice.

"Okay class. I'm Mrs. Timm. At the beginning of the year, I like to play a game in order for us all to know each other. So everybody find a partner and sit in a circle." The kids scramble around to pair up with their friends. His friend, that's what Ryan wish he had right now.

"Wanna be partners?" A squeaky voice asks happily behind Ryan. He turns around to see Ashley smiling widely at Ryan. He nods and they sit down in the circle.

The class went around introducing themselves.

"My name is Ryan. My favorite color is blue and I'm six years old." Ryan says when it's his turn.

"My name is Ashley. My favorite color is pink and I like to sing and dance." Ashley says with pride after Ryan. The circle continues until everybody has said something about themselves.

+++

The recess bell finally rings and Ryan darts to Brendon's classroom to wait for him.

"How did you like your class?" He asks him when he finally walks out.

"It's not fun. I'm all alone." Brendon sighs.

"Me too. I wish we could be in the same class." Ryan says sadly.

One good thing, however, is the new playground. It has a huge swing set and two slides. That's what helps Ryan and Brendon forget about their loneliness.

"Do you know how to swing?"  Brendon asks Ryan. Ryan shakes his head. He always saw other kids do it in the kindergarten playground, but no one ever taught him.

"You move back and run and jump onto it." He says and demonstrates. "And then when you're back, kick in, when you're up, kick out. And you move around like this. " He leans forward and backward with each kick and ends up getting higher and higher, he could have sworn he was going to go around the pole if he went any higher. But he hops off to give the spot to Ryan.

Ryan moves onto the swing and starts kicking his legs franticly, making Brendon giggle.

"No, not like that! Kick your legs together." He explains. Ryan sticks his legs together and starts swishing them forward and back, finally getting the swing to move.

"Now move your body forward and back too." Ryan begins to lean forward and back in rhythm with his legs. As he gets higher and higher he starts to giggle.

"If you close your eyes it tickles!" He says between giggles with his eyes pressed closed.

"I know right!" Brendon nods with a smile as he watches Ryan fly through the air.

"How do I stop?" He starts to panic.

"You have to stop kicking to slow down. Then jump off."

"But I'm scared!" Brendon sighs and moves in front of the swing. When Ryan comes forward, He grabs his legs to stop him. When Ryan hops off the swing, they're both out of breath.

"That was fun." Ryan says with a nod. Just them the bell rings and they both look at each other sadly.

-A/N: okay so I'm probably gonna post these every day until they're finished. However, I'm not finished with the last chapter just yet so I might delay one a day or two to catch up. Hope you enjoyed!