Jada

"Well today was... hectic," Khalil said climbing into bed with me. "I know," I sighed,"Can you believe it? The next time we'll see Justin is five years from now? I'll be 24, it seems unreal."

"It does, don't it," he shook his head. "I'm just glad I made amends with my boy. I don't know how I'd feel about him going in there hating me."

"Yeah," I smiled, remembering what Justin had sad. It all seemed like a faraway memory, but in reality it had happened some hours ago.

"How do you think he'll manage in there?" I asked Khalil curiously. He shrugged and then chuckled,"He ain't finna' let nobody beat him up, if that's what's you mean."

I shook my head,"Nah, I know that. I mean, how is he gonna bypass time. How is he gonna keep from going nuts in there?"

"I don't know. He's probably gon' make a couple friends. Wait, not friends. Acquaintances, people to talk to now and then. Play cards for candy," he stopped and chuckled,"And pray. Yeah, that's what I think he'll do."

I remained silent and he wrapped his arms around my waist. "Don't worry about him, he's got this. He gon' knock out these five years and do this time like it's nothing, you'll see."

I shook my head,"I regret ever telling him that he should go to rehab. I don't want him to go anymore."

"No, you weren't wrong and he knows it. He needs this, and it'll show once we see him again. But the judge knows damn well this time, 5 years, ain't right. I just think he didn't personally like Justin."

And he was probably right.

"Yeah, I --" before I could finish talking, I ran to the bathroom and bent over the toilet, vomiting in it. Khalil rushed to me and pat my back, helping me get it all out. When I was done, I had tears in my eyes.

"What the hell is wrong with me? This is the 3rd night in the row!"

"Here," he handed me a paper towel and some mouthwash. "Do you want me to go the pharmacy?"

"And get what?"

"A pregnancy test."

I froze. I've imagined almost every other symptom, and that hasn't passed my mind once. "Yeah," I sighed,"Hurry, please." He nodded and kissed my cheek, running to get his keys and rushing out the door.

***

While he was gone, I found myself pacing through the whole house. How could I be some dumb to get pregnant? Would Khalil be upset? We've only been seeing each other for about two months. This was too soon.

But it wasn't my fault, I didn't plan this. Khalil didn't seem like the type to freak out over something like this, but how could I be so sure?

Our front door opened and I jumped and then smiled in relief once I saw him. He handed me a bag with multiple boxes,"I didn't know which to get," he admitted,"So you should take them all." I sighed and nodded, taking the bags with me back to the bathroom while he waited patiently on the couch,"I took every single taste and laid them on top of a paper towel on the sink. I sat on the toilet, waiting anxiously for the 3 minutes to past. Time was going
s
l
o
w .

Damn, a minute felt like a fucking hour.

Finally the time passed and I took a deep breath before looking at the tests. They all said the same thing. I grabbed one and threw the rest out before going to see Khalil.

Once I came out he sat up,"What'd they say?"

"They all the same thing." I flashed the test to him and lightly smiled,"I'm pregnant."

Justin

"Buddy, you up?" I heard Maejor call my name the next morning. "Of course I am," I called back. I had to be at the rehabilitation center by 10:30 am, and right now it was 8:30. It was a long drive, so to get there in time we'd have to leave now.

He came up and helped me load my bags in the car. I finally took one last glance at my house before we sped off. "How you feeling?" He asked as he drove.

"Nervous. Nervous and anxious. I just want to get this bullshit over with."

Maejor didn't respond, so I took this as an opportunity to take a nap. I knew that my dreams in the future would be nightmares, so I wanted to dream one last time.

***

"Wake up," he tapped my shoulder. I sat up and shot him a confused look. "Huh? We here?" Did I sleep the whole drive here?

"Yeah," he answered, getting out the car. I sighed and got out and went to the back, helping him get my bags. I sat them on the ground and we hugged for the first time in months. "I'm gon' miss you, JB."

"JB? When was the last time somebody called me that?" I couldn't help but laugh. He started laughing too,"For real. Be safe in here, don't forget about us either."

"Of course I won't. You my ride home," I smiled, tears filling my eyes.

"Right, May 21, 2021 at 9 am. I'll be here, ready for you," he promised. "Alright bro." We hugged again.

"Love you, fam," he told me. "Love you too. Tell everybody I love and miss them."

He nodded as I picked up my bags and walked up to the building where people were waiting for me. I took one last glance at Maejor before walking in, and I didn't see him anymore.

I was led to my new bedroom and told all the rules.

"Day one of 1825."

The end.

***

Well my friends, this book has come to an end 😭😔

I have enjoyed writing this as much as y'all enjoyed reading it. Thank you to everyone who has gave their feedback in any type of way.