Chapter 12

"John, please. I changed my mind and I do want to meet Peyton, but seriously? This?" Sherlock grabbed the pamphlet from the table and held it up to John as he was feeding their daughter her morning bottle.

"I think grieving counseling will be good for you. Get to know other people who have lost a child like you."

"Yes but I haven't lost a child John, I know exactly where she is and I intend on meeting her." Sherlock dropped the pamphlet back down on the table but it was more like a gentle slam as it made a soft padded noise. "You know what I mean." John snapped back as Joan finished her bottle then was handed off to the detective to be burped.

Joan was almost a week old and already showing signs that she was exactly like her father's at such a young age.

"She's getting to be almost like you. Even just a week old." John said, wiping down the counter then staring at his husband and daughter adoringly, still can't believing that that was his family. Sherlock smiled, bouncing on the balls of his feet and swaying back and forth while gently patting his daughter's back so she could burp.

"I find that hard to believe John, I can already tell she'll grow up to be courageous and strong just like you." Sherlock cocked his head to get a better look at his daughter's face, her chin resting on his shoulder as she burped and the detective lightly chuckled. He set her down in her playpen as she smiled a toothless smile and nibbled on her fingers. Sherlock let out a huff of air as he ran his hands through his curls, down the back of his neck and eventually to his stomach.

He still had a quite a bit of pudge leftover as baby fat as it made him look like he was still pregnant.

"This leftover fat is never going to go away is it?" Sherlock shamefully looked to his belly then back to John.

"It'll take some time, running around chasing criminals will slim you down soon enough." John came up behind him and wrapped his arms around his midsection, resting his hands on top of Sherlock's as the detective smiled. Sherlock relished in the feeling of his loving husband's arms wrapped around his still-protruding stomach, it made him feel safe when he felt unsafe, wanted when he felt unwanted. It made him feel like he was home.

Just before Sherlock could close his eyes, their daughter started crying as both the blogger and the detective both groaned.

"Can never catch a break can we? Is this what you had in mind about having a kid?" John asked. Sherlock released himself from his husbands grip and leaned over the playpen to pick up his daughter with a small smile playing on his thin lips.

"I already know the feeling of losing a child John. And though I might not be that kind of person, but it hurt. It hurt to finally see that new human being that's been living and growing within me for 9 months to be laid in my arms then to be ripped away as soon as they put her in my grasp. I can't let that happen to Joan. This is my second chance, you said it yourself. I want to watch her grow up, be healthy and happy. I don't want to miss any of it; of what the future has to offer. For both of us. For all of us." Sherlock looked down at his daughter, her small pink lips sucking at the detective's pinky as her bright blue and electric green were staring up at her dad's.

"I never thought I would feel love like this John. I always thought I would be the lonely drug-addicted sociopath everybody has labeled me as."

"Now look at you. Married to a loving and pretty handsome husband, if I do say so myself." John complimented himself as he looked to their daughter in Sherlock's arms. "And a beautiful baby girl." John walked out in front of Sherlock and put a large surgeon-worn hand on Joan's head, stroking the thick black hair that covered it.

"I love you Sherlock, I love you more than I could ever love anybody else. I love you and our daughter more than the very air I breathe. I love you." John stood on his tiptoes to meet Sherlock's lips as it wasn't rushed or sexual in any way, it was loving and practiced many times over by the pair.

"I love you too John." The detective said as his blogger smiled and pat him on the shoulder, going into the kitchen to start some tea.

"You're still going to that meeting you know." John stated, earning him a whine from his detective as he set his daughter back down in her playpen then whined louder. He flailed his arms then flung them over John's shoulders and burying his face between his shoulder blades. John chuckled.

"What? You thought that heartfelt speech would get you out of it?" Sherlock nodded his head, ruffling the back of John's shirt. "That would be too easy now wouldn't it?"

"I hate you sometimes." Sherlock muffled.

"I know, but you love me anyways." John quickly retorted. Sherlock sighed, breathing the warm air onto John's clothed back as it sent a shiver down the blogger's spine.

"Sadly, I do love you."

Hey guys!

I'm back....