Chapter 10

Sherlock's due date was just around his birthday, as they found out from their last ultrasound, and that meant he would have to meet Peyton and Vincent. As that was over a month away, Sherlock and John decided they wouldn't focus on the future and focus more on what was to come; Christmas.

Sherlock hated the work and sentiment of finding a giving gifts to loved ones. But John was different. Considering he was his husband, John was his rock, his safety line, his everything. He wanted to give John something that required deep thought and something that he would love. Sherlock could sit in his mind palace for hours or even days on end and he still wouldn't be able to find a single thing to capture exactly what he wanted to say.

And if he didn't find exactly what he wanted to say, then there was no hope for Watson-Holmes christmas.

"Oh don't be so dramatic Sherlock! We don't have to exchange gifts, we can just enjoy a hot cuppa by the fire if you wanted to." John came up behind Sherlock as he was sitting at the kitchen table working on another experiment, wrapping his hands around Sherlock's shoulders then sliding them down to his protruding belly.

"No, John. I want to do something special for you. You're special to me, so why can't I reciprocate the feeling?" Sherlock answered, going through a multitude of files and multitasking with flipping through old newspapers for some kind of distraction or a lead on one of his cold cases.

"You're too good to me. Speaking of which, how's our little one?" John asked. Sherlock gave a frustrated sigh and rubbed his stomach.

"I didn't get no more than an hour of sleep last night because of her. She didn't stop kicking and rolling until a couple hours ago. I'd be willing to lose my bet if that means I could get her out of me." Sherlock groaned, rubbing his swollen belly in discomfort.

"You wouldn't want to do that, because then I couldn't do this." John pulled his chair around to where the detective was facing his blogger as John smiled then pressed a few lingering kisses to Sherlock's belly as the detective smiled and ran his free hand through John's short hair. Both John and Sherlock felt their daughter kick as Sherlock shifted in discomfort but his blogger smiled in his kiss and rubbed his hand over his husband's belly.

"Seems to me that she's not letting up. Doctor Collins said she would be perfectly healthy to come sooner than her due date. We could have a Christmas baby." John snickered as Sherlock rolled his eyes then put his hand over John's.

"No offense John, but I would much rather have her be born on Valentine's day, and not just because of our bet." Sherlock reassured. John sat back on his heels, not removing his hands from Sherlock but sliding them down to rub his thighs instead.

"Oh? And why would that be?" John asked.

"Because everytime I look at her, it would remind me of how much I truly do love you. And I really do love you John." Sherlock swept a bit of John's outgrown hair from his view as the blogger smiled.

"I love you too. And on that note, we have the baby shower later tomorrow, so that means we need to set up tonight. And you need to be on your best behavior." John warned as Sherlock groaned and rolled his head back in boredom.

"Oh I don't want to! Can't we just..." Sherlock trailed off, thinking of what he could say next but nothing of importance came to his thoughts.

"Can't we just what?" John repeated his husband's beginning words.

"Can't we just get away for a while? Go somewhere where it isn't raining and snowing all the time?" Sherlock asked, hauling himself up with a grunt and wrapping his arms around John's shoulders and kissing his cheek. John smiled as he set his forehead against Sherlock's, the detective's belly pressing against John's fit abdomen.