Chapter 9

Sherlock's eyes adjusted to the pale room that he soon figured out it wasn't his own or any other room that he would know. Opening his eyes a little farther, the detective saw the starchy sheets that covered his lower half, a stiff couch that snuggled perfectly into a nook built into the wall as behind the couch was a rather large window that showed the blistering snow blowing outside.

"Hey, you're awake." Sherlock nearly jumped out of his skin at the sound of that voice.

"John?" Sherlock's voice cracked dryly, knowing that he must've been asleep for sometime. John reached for a pitcher of water and filled a plastic cup with the liquid as the detective quickly drank it down. Many obnoxious quite moments were shared between the blogger and detective before Sherlock grunted in discomfort and rubbed his swollen belly.

"How is she?" John asked, looking to his husband with an uncomfortable expression like he had better places to be and noticing the uneasy feeling that hung over them like a storm cloud. "She's fine, though I should be asking you that. I can't remember what happened after I fell to the floor."

"You started to bleed out a bit and collapsed in the cab on the way to the hospital. That was about 3 hours ago." John answered back, glancing down to his watch to see how time flew. Sherlock sat up at the words 'bleed out' as he thought of the child growing inside him. It wasn't the first time that Sherlock felt the flutters of their baby, how she would stretch the wrong way within him and caused him some discomfort but didn't phase him as he was used to it, how she would kick or hit hard enough that the detective could see her foot or fist through his skin as he would warmly smile and press his palm to where she hit him.

"Is she going to be okay? I know that extra bleeding is common in pregnancy but usually earlier in the term." Sherlock asked, looking to his belly and never removing his hand.

"She'll be fine, I asked Doctor Collins about the extra bleeding and she said that every-"

"Pregnancy is different, yes I know that part. Aren't you aware that this isn't my first time." Sherlock finished John's sentence as he cleared his throat and waited for John's response, like an opponent waiting for the enemies turn in a game of chess.

"Look, Sherlock I am just here to apologize and hopefully you'll take my apology. So, I'm sorry and I don't want this to happen again. I was selfish and disrespectful towards your wishes of never bringing up your past, and I severed that trust with you. All I ask is that you can trust me again and hopefully we can get back to us being us." John grabbed Sherlock's hand as he caressed the back of it with his thumb, a loving gesture that has been perfected over the years by the couple. Sherlock studied the army doctor's eyes, momentarily smiling before he took a deep sigh.

"Are you willing to make a bet?" The detective asked, getting a rather baffled look from John as he furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"Wha-what are you talking about? Sherlock, I am pouring my heart out to you and asking for your acception to my apology and you're asking me if I'm willing to make a bet on something?" John looked harder at Sherlock, thinking as if he could physically see what was running through his shallow husband's mind.

"Yes, and I accept your apology as well and I am sorry too. Now, are you willing to make a bet?" Sherlock asked, a reappearing smirk crawling across his lips as the confusion was set deeper into the army doctor's face, his mouth now agape at the detective's words. A small chuckle released from John's throat before he cleared it and gave a deep sigh.

"What are we betting on?" John rubbed his forehead with his fingertips and shut his eyes. Sherlock turned up one corner of his mouth in the slightest smile before going on with his explanation.

"If our daughter is born by my birthday, then by your wishes, I will go meet Peyton and get to know her a little. Even if that will lead me to meeting Vincent. If she is born by or on Valentine's Day, then we drop the issue of me meeting Peyton and go on raising our child with no other interruptions from my previous life. Do we have a deal?"

"You are betting the birth of our child to releasing the troubles of your past? I must've been married to you for too long because that is actually not that bad of an idea. So I guess we have a deal." John responded. Sherlock gave a curt nod before sealing their "bet" with a kiss and smiling.

"Shall we count the days?" Sherlock dramatically threw his hand over his forehead. John playfully hit Sherlock's arm and giggled.

"Oh piss off!" The blogger shouted. The detective giggled.

"Which reminds me, we have Lestrade, Molly, Mrs. Hudson, and your brother coming over for Christmas/baby shower the weekend after next." Sherlock groaned as John rolled his eyes at his overly-dramatic husband.

"Why do we have to it? Do we really have to?"

"Yes we do Sherlock, these are our friends and they want to be with us for the holidays. And Mrs. Hudson insisted on a baby shower so we're kind of stuck with that one." John answered back.

"Are you sure? I saw the decorations back at the flat." The detective deduced.

"That was Mrs. Hudson's doing, she had nowhere else to put them."

"Ugh! Alright fine. I guess I can put up with them for a couple hours." Sherlock huffed and mumbled under his breath.

"Thank you." John took his husband's hand into his as he gently kissed his knuckles then moved up to Sherlock's lips, the feeling sweet and unforgettable.

Pulling away and placing his hand on Sherlock's belly, John smiled and felt their daughter kick against his hand as Sherlock grunted at the forceful movements of their baby threatened to make him go to the bathroom as she was pushing against his bladder.

"Seems to me you'll get your wish, she could definitely play soccer when she's older." Sherlock tried to calm his daughter as he ran circles on his stomach with the palm of his hand as John did nothing but chuckle.

"You truly do amaze me love."