Prologue: Who Am I?

Who am I? That's something I've asked myself, and been asked, by both looks and words, from my birth until now.

Technically speaking, I know. I am a faerie fledgling of fire. I am a fire-element faerie. I am the daughter of Lamina and Rowan Hood. I am the daughter of the King and Queen of Fyria, the kingdom of the fire-fey. I am the princess of the fire-fey. I am the princess of Fyria. I am Rowena Lamina Catalina Hood, one of the strongest fey in the land.

But then I ask, am I really? Because, I have no wings. I was born without them, and none have grown since. I haven't been able to fly like any other. I am not able to play with the other children, because they can all fly. So when they do play, they play up in the skies, soaring to heights that are dazzling and make my shoulders ache for lack of wings.

Sure, I have powers. Fire. I can make things burn, and stop them from doing so. I can give light to the deepest of oceans, where no other light would reach. I can dim the fire of the eternal sun on a certain area. I can snuff out another fey's fire, or five. I am one of the strongest elemental-fey alive. Even though I'm just a fledgling.

But I still ask myself: what am I? Can I be a princess to the people, when I can't even understand half of their world? Can I still be a Queen when I can't help half my people? Can I still a fey if I don't have wings? Can I be Rowena Hood if I'm wingless?

Right now, if I asked that to my parents, they would answer "Yes" to all of them. They would reassure me that everyone loved my from my birth, and still loves me now. That I am the beautiful princess, the jewel of the fire-fey. But they are my parents, and they love me unconditionally. The towns people show me respect and adoration. But then I ask myself if they do. Or if it's just respect and love for my parents?

I'm not sure if I'll ever find out if it's me they love, or not, and for some reason, I hope I never find out.

I'm perfectly happy living as I am right now. With the smiles of the townspeople. With the protection of the guards. With the luxury of the castle. With the kingdom at my feet. With the love of my parents. I wish that I could live forever like this. But I know this cannot be so. I know this is going to change. Things always change, even though the fey almost never change. Somehow, things always change, even though, no one changes. Maybe it's because of this that things change.

Change. I know that word so well. I hear it every day. I don't know whether it's good or bad, but somehow, once again, I want to never find out. I'm just like the others, in a way. I don't want change from my reality.

I look back at this, and see that my thoughts have turned negative. But really, I have nothing to be sad about. And for right now, right here, I shall live life with the most vibrancy that I can muster. I shall make the land dance in the colour of my emotions.

💮💮💮💮💮💮💮💮💮💮

There is the prologue. Why are all my prolonged always sad? Oh well. The next couple of chapters will be mostly light-hearted. It may or may not become dramatic a few chapters later on. I will have to see where the story takes me.

But you will have to know that I love to make people grow attached to a character and then kill him/her/it off. I don't know why and I don't know if it will happen in this book. It probably won't because mostly everyone is important to the book . . . Dunno.

Thank for reading and don't forget to vote if you liked it (and PLEASE tell me any and all thoughts on the book)! Feedback is appreciated but not straight out nasty comments.

~Julica❤