Breakfast was silent and awkward and I knew I had really screwed things up.

Yes I knew it was a lot to ask of her but I had a plan, she just didn't want to listen.

I'm sure if we just sat down and talked it all through she would change her mind...but then again this was Carter, and I had chose the most stubborn girl alive to love for the rest of my life, and it would take all of the convincing in the world for her to agree.

"Are you guys fighting?" Ender asked suddenly and both mine and Carters heads snapped up.

"No." We both said at the same time.

Ender rolled his eyes and looked away.

When breakfast was done everyone went their separate ways to get ready.

Carter went upstairs and I turned the television on for Gracie so she could watch her morning cartoons.

I took a deep breath as I made my way up the stairs and into Carters bedroom where she was looking through her drawers to find something to wear.

When she moved away I went to go get my clothes, staying by the dresser while she stood by the bed.

I looked up as she slipped off her pyjama shirt and put on a different bra, her back facing me.

"Carter." I said.

She didn't turn around and continued to put on her shirt.

"Car." I said a bit louder, knowing she had heard me.

I sighed before walking up to her, and placing my hand on her shoulder.

"Carter."

"What?" She whipped around.

She looked like she was about to cry.

"I'm sorry...okay? I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you last night." I sincerely apologised.

"I just don't understand how you could ask me to do that...you know how important the business is to me and my family." She said back, her voice about to break.

"I know, and I'm not asking you to sell the business, I'm asking my fiancé to come on tour with me so we can be together."

"Ashton." She whimpered and I pulled her into my arms.

"Just please Carter...please..." I whispered as I held her to me.

"I can't." She said back, her voice thin and broken.

We stood there in the middle of her bedroom, my arms around her as she shook silently in my hold.

"Is there anything I can do to change your mind?" I asked her and she shook her head no.

"Well do you still want to be engaged?" I asked and she nodded yes.

"I think we need to take a break." She said finally and her words shot fear through my system.

"What?" I pulled away so I could look at her.

"Just for a day or two. Everything with us has been happening so fast and I think we need to just give each other a little space."

"I don't like that." I shook my head.

"Well I don't like it either, but I think it's necessary." She said and I ran my hand through my hair, my fingers curling into a fist around the strands.

"Hey." She said and moved forward to place a hand on my arm and one on my chest. "Ashton I still love you and I'm still going to marry you...but I think we need this."