Chapter 30

I woke up the next morning alone and highly confused until I remembered that Ashton was taking Ender to school today.

Forcing myself from the warm confinement of my sheets I went to the bathroom and was met with a disheveled appearance in the mirror.

I combed through my hair and braided it, then brushed my teeth before going back to my room and changing into a pair of soft, black stretch pants, and a loose cream sweater because the house was pretty chilly.

Downstairs I made myself a steaming cup of coffee and snatched a banana from the counter. Remnants of Ashton's coffee was still on the counter and so was a note written in blue highlighter on a sheet of notebook paper saying Ash would be back soon.

I ate the banana and threw away the peel, then went upstairs and got in bed. All of the crying last night must have taken all of my energy because I was exhausted.

Last night was difficult emotionally, but I felt like Ash and I were closer because of it.

I took a few sips of my coffee then snuggled back into the covers.

Minutes later I heard the sound of the door opening and closing then the drop of keys on the counter. Footsteps were heard coming up the stairs and then Ashton walked into the bedroom, chuckling at my appearance.

"Morning." I said in a mousy voice as I peaked over the top of the blanket.

"Morning, sleepy head." He grinned and walked over to the side of the bed.

"Leave me alone it's freezing in here." I giggled and rolled over onto my side so I could face him.

"Carter it's warm in here what are you talking about?" He questioned me, still smiling.

"No it's freezing." I argued and he narrowed his eyes suspiciously and crouched down next to me. He placed his hand on my forehead and his eyes widened.

"Car, you're burning up." He frowned and I furrowed my eyebrows together.

"What? I can't be, I'm not sick I don't even feel bad." I complained.

"Hold on, I'll go get you something to bring your fever down." He stood up and jogged downstairs.

I groaned dramatically and a few minutes later he was back with a glass of water and some pills.

I took them and then sighed.

"Thanks." I frowned and then took another sip of coffee before moving to get out of bed.

"Um where do you think you're going?" Ashton snipped from behind me.

"I have things to do today." I tromped down the steps.

"Not now you don't." Ash was following me, catching up quickly and dragging me back by my arm. "You are going to stay in bed."

"Ash." I whined. "I don't wanna spend your last day here lying in bed."

"Well I don't want to spend my last day here taking you to the hospital because you passed out so, back to bed you go."

"Ugh." I sighed and he shooed me up the stairs.

"Now lay down and tell me what you need done today and I'll do it." He instructed and I flopped down on the bed in defeat.