Chapter 75

Ashton's PoV:

Well that hadn't gone how I'd expected it.

I didn't know Carter was going to be so mad at me.

Just by the look in her eyes I knew she wasn't pleased with how the evening had ended and neither was I, and that's probably why I didn't sleep.

Gracie and Carter had fallen asleep fairly quickly, Gracie's head turned to Carters chest while the little girls back was against me.

This was what I was going to miss when I left for tour. And this was what I wanted to take with me.

Gracie turned around in Carters arms and faced me, her thumb in her mouth and her little brown eyes shut tight.

Carter was passed out behind her, her eye brows furrowed in her sleep.

Over her shoulder the alarm clock said 3:43 A.M and I shut my eyes again, angry at myself for putting Carter in this position, and sad because she wouldn't come with me.

I laid there for two more hours until the alarm went off and Carter moved to turn it off while I pretended to be asleep.

Carter stood up and I listened to her as she moved to the closet and then went to the dresser where her slippers were and put them on.

Gracie turned back over in the bed.

"Mommy." I heard her say and then sensed Carters presence as she came to the bed and lifted Gracie up.

"Come here baby." Carter whispered and then whisked her away, both of them leaving the bedroom and Carter shut the door quietly behind them.

I heard the coffee maker start downstairs and then the opening of Enders bedroom door as he woke up and then went downstairs.

Was Carter going to act like none of this happened or was she still going to be mad?

I didn't know but I had to find out.

I got out of the bed and stretched my back before taking a deep breath and opening the door to go downstairs.

Gracie was asleep on Carters shoulder and Ender was standing behind her as she stood at the counter trying to wake Gracie up while Carter swatted him away.

When my foot hit the creaky step Carter glanced up, her eyes freezing on me and then dropping down to look at the counter.

She was still upset.

But despite the fact we were upset with each other I still loved her and I knew we'd get past this like we did everything else.

"Morning Ashton." Ender said when he saw me and I told him good morning back before sitting at the bar, Gracie looking up when she saw me.

"Daddy, you didn't kiss Mommy good morning." Gracie's small voice said and Carter and I both looked up.

"It's okay Gracie." Carter said softly but Gracie frowned.

"Nope you're right, I forgot." I said and slid off the bar stool, Car watching me with careful eyes as I approached.

I pressed myself to her, despite Gracie's leg that was wrapped around Carters waist and tilted my head down to attach my lips to hers in a sweet yet passionate kiss.

I felt her body become less tense as she accepted it and then pulled away just enough so that my lips rested against hers.

"Good morning." I murmured against her mouth.

"Morning." She breathed back, and I brushed my lips against hers before moving away to kiss Gracie's cheek and pull her into my arms.

Carter looked away after I kissed her and went to pour her coffee and mine, setting the cup in front of me without a word.